Friday, April 5, 2024

And So It Goes

 I am still in the preparation stage for getting the damage from the hot water taken care of.  It's an arduous task to consider and move what we need to keep available while everything gets packed up. 

My mornings are still spent at my computer as I keep working on CLASSY YARNS.  I am closing in on the end of the rewrite.  Also have to go through the galley pages of KNOT DEAD AGAIN.  

In the midst of all this, it occurred to me that things will never go back to the way they were.  I have a meditation tape that makes a point that the only thing certain is uncertainty.  It's not necessarily bad and can provide wonderful surprises.  But there is always upheaval.  

Uncertainty is also what keeps life interesting.  It keeps you fluid and flexible even if going through it is hard.

All of this is making me reevaluate all the stuff we have accumulated.  I don't really care about most of the stuff, but the birthday cards from my mother, a note from my aunt, photographs and some handmade gifts mean a lot.  They stir up memories and feelings.  

Working on CLASSY YARNS stirs up a lot of memories, too.  They are like snapshots in my mind of moments spent at the cottage we had in the woods.  There was no indoor plumbing other than a hand pump in the kitchen.  We didn't have electricity for years.  There was never a phone or a TV.  The best we had was an old radio.  We didn't even have a car to get there until I was 11.  It took a train and a ride in the back of an ancient pickup truck with a block of ice for the ice box to get there.  But I loved it.  The place I'm writing about is in the same area, but more modern. Still there are wild strawberries and Queen Anne's lace flowers in Annie Sara's world.  I can smell the well water in my mind and fragrance of home grown tomatoes.  It's like going there all over again.  And a temporary escape from all the upheaval here. 

3 comments:

Patty Jenkins said...

Good morning -- Lots of wonderful memories -- those things are the best.

This must be the time of the year for water problems -- late yesterday, I opened the doors under the sink and there was water everywhere. The disposal is leaking through the bottom -- I'd used the dishwasher and washed my hair in the sink earlier -- all that water was dripping out!! Waiting for the plumber to return my call!!

Still lots of crocheting -- just finished a blue granny square -- alternate rows of periwinkle blue and a variegated yarn. Did I tell you the Project Linus chapter was given a huge amount of yarn -- all raspberry-colored. All on cones, which isn't the easiest way to use -- can't tuck it beside me as I sit in my recliner. The color looks great with white and also with pale pink.

Hope the packing and moving of all the necessities goes well -- and that the repairs go quickly.

Betty Hechtman said...

Patty, sorry about your water mess. I hope it is a simple repair. Better under the sink than under the house.

The raspberry yarn must be pretty, though the cones sound like a pain to work with. The peanut shaped skeins that Red Heart comes in are difficult too. I suppose both could be wound in balls before you start, but who wants to wait to start on something.

Happy Crocheting!

Linda O. Johnston said...

Sounds as if you still have a lot on your mind besides writing, Betty. And it can be a bit disconcerting to realize that things have changed, perhaps forever. But I've no doubt you can handle it all!