The last day of July! August barely counts as summer anymore since school starts here on the 12th. Meanwhile I am working on the next Molly book. Thankfully no computer problems. It's a relief to have a screen that doesn't have dark corners and doesn't keep going off and back on at its whim.
It's just me trying to find the right words.
I;m taking the day off from everything and we're going to Laguna Beach. It's close enough for a day trip, but far enough away to feel like a change. Seeing the ocean is always a good thing. The rhythm of the waves is soothing and just looking at all that water is relaxing. The town is charming and we'll look around and probably stop at the Urth Cafe
The destination is only part of it. I like the ride there. Jakey may have his nose buried in some electronic thing, but I'm all about looking out the window. There's so much to take in. Even the traffic. I'm always curious about the trucks on the road. The ones that carry all the cars fascinate me and seeing how they jiggle always makes me a little nervous.
There are landmarks I notice. The Goodyear Blimp. The mysterious water way along the 405 freeway in the South Bay area that I found out is the Dominguez Channel. It's a flood control thing now, but was originally a fresh water march called Dominguez Slough.
I'm up for any stops along the way. Starbucks for a party drink or IKEA in Costa Mesa for lunch. It will be dark on the way back and a whole different experience. like seeing all the plane headlights as they close in on landing at LAX. And maybe even having a plane go right over us just before it lands. Lights everywhere without being able to tell what they belong to. And then we'll be back to sleep in our own beds.
All of it gives my mind a much needed reboot.
6 comments:
Sounds like a great day -- enjoy!! Your mention of cars jiggling on the transport trucks reminds me of an incident from years ago. We were on the Hollywood Freeway behind a big truck loaded with crates of eggs -- there was a chain across each layer and with the stop and go traffic, the crates moved a lot. We joked about being covered with scrambled eggs if one of the chains broke. Lunch at IKEA is a good idea -- their Swedish meatballs are delicious.
I'm taking a break from making blankets and working on a neck scarf for a Sacramento friend of my son's who is moving to Denver. She's not thrilled to be going to a cold, snowy area but it's a job move. I'm using the Rainbow Mist yarn and doing the basketweave pattern -- so far, so good.
School starts on the 10th for my grandson -- he'll be a junior in high school. Hard to believe -- the years have flown by.
Glad you're working on a new Molly book -- she'll no doubt have some exciting adventures.
I hear the sound of distant lawn blowers -- soon the edgers and mowers -- yuck!!
Have a great day.
Your day trip sounds perfect. Where I live is pretty land locked so I love it when I have a chance to visit the ocean. Its peaceful and fascinating to me. Just imagining what the world is like in the sea is entertaining to me. One time my husband and I vacationed in a small fishing village on the Big Island and the back yard was literally the ocean. Nearly every day we saw either whales, turtles, sharks, spinner dolphins or some kind of fish that jumped out of the water and looked like they were flying for short distances. It was the most amazing trip I've ever been on. Hoping we can go back some day. Enjoy your time away and have a great weekend!
Patty, It's lucky those eggs didn't spill out on the road. We didn't stop at IKEA, but instead Boudin's. It's the place from SF famous for their sourdough bread.
I'm sure that scarf will be appreciated. It's amazing how much of a difference wearing one can make.
The years really do fly by. I'm still getting used to school starting in August.
Molly does have a lot going on!
Happy Weekend!
Sharon, That trip sounds amazing. I can imagine that you want to go back. Being around water is always good. I didn't see any sea creatures in Laguna. I was mostly focused on the lifeguard watching all the people in the water. What a lot of responsibility and the skill he has to possess to save someone if he had to. I also liked watching the parade of people walking on the boardwalk.
Sounds delightful. We live an hour away from the Atlantic and about the same to the Gulf. Hope you have a fabulous day!
I love that sourdough bread -- haven't had any in ages,
Post a Comment