Thursday, September 20, 2018

Layering HTV- The Experiment

My husband and I joined a bowling league and part of the deal was if I started bowling, he'd wear a matching team t-shirt. I'm not sports-inclined but as it's a way for us to spend time with my daughter and her significant other, I conceded. I've been wanting to add layering HTV to my crafting repertoire, and found many reasons why the time wasn't right. I didn't have enough HTV colors. Didn't have the right project. I was in the middle of writing a book (which is pretty much always). I didn't want to waste the vinyl (once I bought it). Yep, one excuse after another. I even had a friend offer to come over and help me but I've been deep in the deadline cave and didn't have long to step out of it.

With the third week of bowling coming up, I knew I had to get our shirts done. It was the reason I agreed to join. So, I decided to give it a try because as my husband pointed out it was no more "wasteful" (my biggest fear--wasting supplies) to hold and not use the vinyl than it was to use it and mess it up. And at least by using it, I was giving myself the opportunity to get the hang of it. I'd never learn if I didn't try.

I went for it. I had a few missteps...mainly with the glitter vinyl...but was able to learn from it and the second try and the shirty came out much better. The big issue was with the glitter vinyl. Pieces of the glitter will stay on the transfer sheet, you just can't get it all off.

I found the easiest way to make sure random glitter doesn't get on your image is to trim down the transfer sheet, even if it leaves you with two small pieces to work with rather than one large image. The red was my glitter vinyl.

The other issue I had was in layering the main pieces. I didn't want to over press the main image, so I decided to add all the main back colors (orange, black, and yellow) at the same time. Well, that doesn't work so well when a piece of the transfer sheet ends up under the vinyl. The black semi-circles were attached to the transfer sheet of the yellow circle rather than the t-shirt. I had to peel off the black vinyl and start over, doing one color at a time. I was sure there was an easier and quicker way but decided to go with the longer method. I'm planning on making back-up t-shirts and giving it another try because as with most things practice makes perfect.

No comments: