Monday, August 3, 2009

Oh, the Places You'll Go!

This was the title of one of my son’s favorite books when he was a child. Certainly, David and I worked hard to instill in our child a love of travel at an early age. What I didn’t realize was that my other “children,” my books would also travel. That they would take on lives of their own, just as my son has.

For example, many years ago I received an email from a woman in South Africa. She wanted to use Scrapbook Storytelling in her rape counseling. She felt that if women could reframe their stories, they could overcome their sense of shame and see themselves as they truly were—courageous survivors.

Sometime afterwards, a woman in Israel emailed me. She loved my pages on Jewish customs. For many years, Amy Samin and I kept up a lively correspondence. In fact, this post has inspired me to renew it! You can read Amy’s thoughtful and informative blog here: http://postcardsfromisrael-samin.blogspot.com/2009/04/numbers-game.html

Recently, while I was in Texas, I met a sociology teacher who uses Paper, Scissors, Death in her lecture on death any dying. Specifically, she references the quotation from Sharon Shinn—something about how we expect death to be ennobling, but it’s not.

Then last week, I received an email from Lois Foster Hirt. Lois writes a fun dental column which includes any mention of a dentist, dentil hygienist or good lines featuring dental tidbits. Once she finds such a mention in a book, she contacts the author and asks why they mentioned dentistry. The interview appear in her blog: http://www.ladhsociety.org/ (Go to "Hygienists in Print") The books she uses as sources go the the National Museum of Dentistry in Baltimore, Maryland. Recently, she added both Paper, Scissors, Death and Cut, Crop & Die.

I guess my books and my son have something in common: they were born to go places!

4 comments:

Terri Thayer said...

Great book! One of my favorites. Congrats on getting your book out there.

Betty Hechtman said...

I heard from Lois, too. I was surprised at how many dental references I had in my books.

Once our books are out there, they do have lives of their own.

Camille Minichino said...

It is exciting to see where our books end up, even when they're out of print! (Not that I recommend that.) :=))

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

You know, ladies, Betty is right. Just like kids, books have a life of their own. And Terri, I can't take credit for my books' travel experiences...I think, in part, it's a function of how long they've been in the marketplace. Scrapbook Storytelling was released in 1998. Camille, I think out-of-print books probably have their own lifecycle.