Friday, January 6, 2012

Endings and Beginnings

I did it. Very early Tuesday morning I hit send and If Hooks Could Kill went through cyberspace and ended up waiting for my editor when she came back after her holiday. Whew!

The rewriting was more extensive than I’d expected and the proofreading, brought up more issues than misspelling and missed commas. But it’s done. For now anyway. Until I get it back with a revision letter, then with comments from the copy editor, and finally when I get the galleys to look over.

I feel like I missed the holidays, which had an upside. No after holiday let down. I’ve given up on sending out cards, so it’s going to be emails and phone calls.

I’m finally getting a chance to finish reading The Orchid Thief, which I started forever ago. I find it hard to read when I’m working on a book. When I’m finished with the book I want to watch the movie Adaptation again. It is a weird movie that is about twin writers writing a screenplay based on The Orchid Thief.

Even if I’d noticed that was New Year’s eve, I wouldn’t have made any resolutions. When I want to change something, I try to do it right away instead of making a big deal about doing it for the new year.

But lots of people do make resolutions, particularly about exercise. Every year about this time at there is an influx of people at my gym. They come in all excited and motivated. They come every day - for a week or two. Then we never see them again. By the end of February, the gym is back to normal.


Now it’s onward and upward. A few days off and it’s time to begin writing Yarn2Go.

8 comments:

Dru said...

Congrats on finishing your rewrites. I hope you have more days to enjoy some reading.

Betty Hechtman said...

Dru, I am enjoying reading what somebody else wrote for a change.

Linda O. Johnston said...

The holidays don't have to be over if you don't want them to be, Betty. I'm still celebrating with family. Congratulations on finishing your rewrite, and have fun with your reading and film-viewing plans!

Planner said...

Congratulations on getting that done, and, as one of your readers, thank you for your dedication to your work. Now you can start the year with a major accomplishment!

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, how nice that you're still celebrating with your family.

Betty Hechtman said...

Planner, that's a good point I didn't think of. I did start the year off with an accomplishment.

JanG said...

Good for you, Betty! You managed yet another book and have another "yarn" in mind for later. Happy New Year, Happy New Book(s), and enjoy your reading. I have enjoyed Molly's story as it has evolved from the reading group's start with it and am glad others agree with me by supporting your work!

Betty Hechtman said...

Happy New Year to you Jan. Thank you for the good wishes.