Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Online Chats

I participated in an online chat at the Writerspace website yesterday.  It was scheduled for Berkley Prime Crime authors who had new books out this month.  Two of us attended, along with readers and the online monitors.

This chat went well.  In case you’ve never chatted online, it’s a series of ongoing live emails that scroll down the page as people post.  Names are identified--either real or whatever someone has chosen to be called during the chat.  The other author and I went by our writing names, and everyone else appeared to have assumed a name for the chat.

There wasn’t a huge turnout on this one, possibly because it conflicted with the President’s State of the Union address.  Whatever the reason, it was a lot more manageable than some chats in which I’ve participated.  I was able to follow who was saying, or asking, what to whom.  Sometimes people’s questions or responses scroll so quickly that it’s hard to follow, but not this time.

However, I’ve also been invited to participate in the Writerspace online Valentine Soiree on Sunday evening for Berkley Jove Authors, NAL Authors and Berkley Prime Crime & Obsidian Mystery Authors and interested readers, which will be a similar format.  There’ll be a giveaway of 100+ books, and it will run from 8-11 PM eastern time.  It’s likely to be one of those crazy chats I described.  Am I participating in that one?  Yes!  I’ll be giving away a copy of OODLES OF POODLES, my new Pet Rescue Mystery, and will make a valiant attempt to follow what’s going on, and respond, for at least half an hour, most likely from 5:30-6:00PM Los Angeles time.

Join me there!

Have you ever participated in an online chat?  What do you think of them?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I participated in one with Gayle Trent. Even though I didn't win a book, it was great fun.

Katreader said...

I've participated once. It was fun, but hard to follow. I'm generally working when these events happen, so I can't participate more. And yes, I'll be working during your upcoming chat too.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I think chats are fun, too, llk 10 retired, but they can be exhausting!

Linda O. Johnston said...

They're definitely hard to follow, Katreader. Your work schedule must be difficult enough! I always have to remind myself to figure out what time they're talking about on Pacific time when chats are being scheduled.

Robena Grant said...

My publisher held one last night. There were several staff involved and it was fun and informative. I always choose to listen, meaning I say hello and goodbye.

I'm sure as the author they would be a lot of fun, but hard to keep up with new comments while typing your answers to previous comments.
I'd be dizzy. : )

Linda O. Johnston said...

That's me, Robena--dizzy!

Anonymous said...

I wish there could be online writers' workshops, for budding authors (like myself) who don't have the money to fly out to the regular kind. It probably isn't possible, I know, but I wonder how many of you would go for that.

Linda O. Johnston said...

There are online writing classes, Anonymous. In fact, I'm teaching one on romance and suspense for Savvy Authors starting next week. Or are you talking about another kind of workshop?

Anonymous said...

That's kind of what I mean. I haven't worked out my genre, but if you'd give me some more info on yours, Ms. Johnston, I'd like to check it out. Thank you for the suggestion.

Betty Hechtman said...

I took part in some parties on facebook and it seemed like a lot of disjointed comments. Good luck on your next one. It sounds a little chaotic.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Check out savvyauthors.com, Anonymous, and look at the menu under workshops. One category includes chats! My class is there under workshops, and there are lots of others. Maybe you'll find something of interest there.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Most of the time those comments follow threads, I think, Betty--although it's often hard to follow just one of them. Thanks for your good wishes!