Sunday, June 19, 2016

Let's Get Caught Up

It's been years--maybe even nearly a decade--since Deb Baker and I (Joanna) had a hallway conversation that led to the inception of Killer Hobbies. Wow. How time flies. I took a long vacation and now I'm back, along with my friend, Christine Verstraete.

Together we've formed Two Mad Miniaturists. We've just released our first miniature tutorial book, Dollhouse Decor & More, with 62 cool projects.

If you like crafts, you have to love miniatures, because you can exercise all your craft muscles. Today for example, I concentrated on paper arts, cutting, assembling, and painting various small accessories for the Victorian room box I'm constructing out of garbage.


My trashy Victorian roombox.



Yes, you read that right. Garbage. As in, trash. I try to recycle, upcycle, and reuse anything I can put my hands on.

Here's a partial list:
* The bed is cardboard stacked and glued together.
* The headboard is a mixture of toilet paper and glue, covered with tissue paper.
* The chair is an empty toilet paper roll.
* The plant, lower right, is the plastic trim from sushi.
* The throw at the foot of the bed was a washcloth I found in the street.
* The curtain rod is a wire clothes hanger.
* The leaded glass windows are the bottom of a fig newton container.
* The dresser is an empty box that makeup came in.
* The mirror started with a jump ring I found in the street.
* The purple flowers are dried ones from a real floral arrangement.

So I hope you'll tune in on Mondays to see what I concoct over the weekend. It isn't always pretty, but I hope you'll find it entertaining.

See you next week--

Joanna







7 comments:

CA Verstraete said...

Joanna is the best "garbage picker" I know - and I mean that in a good way. Looking forward to contributing here!

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Chris, I've always been attracted by what's left behind!

Jeannie D. said...

Looking forward to following this blog.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Welcome back to Killer Hobbies, Joanna. And welcome to Killer Hobbies, Christine!

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Thanks, Jeannie D!

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Linda, give your pup some love from me, please. All best--

Ellen said...

I love those tiny books! There's one fellow, Jason Wittman, who makes tiny books (1" tall) and leaves stacks of them at local science fiction conventions. Mostly, he writes the stories too. It's useful to have a needlework hobby -- I have to put on my counted cross stitch glasses to read them.