Wednesday, September 27, 2017

House Arrest and Gibbons



House arrest?  Not really.  But I generally write my blog on Tuesday to post it on Wednesday.  And on this Tuesday, I was pretty much trapped in my house.  Sort of.  There had been signs up for a week saying not to park along the street because of repaving that day, and I assumed our narrow street would be blocked off.  A street sweeper went by fairly early, but the paving wasn't actually done till later.  A few cars drove by at first despite the instructions and timing we'd been given, and a few people walked past our house, but I'd assumed in advance that I wouldn't be able to come or go for the day.  My car was in the garage, but my husband parked his along a nearby street and left for a few hours.  I guess I could have gone then, too, but decided to take advantage.

Of being stuck in the house?  Not a bad thing, actually.  I'm finishing the manuscript for my second K-9 Ranch Rescue miniseries for Harlequin Romantic Suspense which is due on October 1, and I have the final edits to accomplish for the typeset version of the first book in the series, Second Chance Soldier, due a few days after.  Being stuck at home in front of my computer?  Great idea!

I blogged here last week about the rescue of a hawk from my backyard.  During my follow-up, I learned that he had been taken to the California Wildlife Center near Malibu.  I was told that he became unsteady and fell backwards while there but he survived.  I'll continue to call them now and then to see if my buddy red-tail hawk gets well enough to be released back into the wild.


The other animal-related thing occurring last week that I hinted about in my blog was that my son had gotten a Groupon for a visit to the Gibbon Conservation Center near Santa Clarita.  I'd never heard of it before.  And the visit was fascinating!  I learned a lot about gibbons and their subspecies, how they're endangered in the wild, mostly in southeast Asia, and how this conservation center--apparently the only one in the U.S.--helps to breed and raise a few each year till some can be released back into the wild.  There's also a gibbon sanctuary in this country where gibbons can live out their days, and many zoos keep a few as well, but this conservation center is unique!  I plan to visit them again--hopefully at a time in the morning where all forty-some gibbons do their concurrent screaming, which they do several times a day.

2 comments:

Betty Hechtman said...

I was glad for the update about the hawk, but sorry to hear it fell backward. It figures that something is wrong with it since it didn't fly off when you found it. I hope it improves.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I checked with the wildlife center, and although he is on meds and his neurological condition is improving, it's still not clear whether he'll get well enough to be released back into the wild. But at least he's doing better!