Monday, November 20, 2017

Cranberry-Orange Relish

My mother always made a raw Cranberry-Orange Relish for Thanksgiving. She cooked a whole-berry cranberry sauce, and we'd also have jellied cranberry sauce. Everyone had their favorite - I loved them all.

Husband and I are having a quiet Thanksgiving dinner, with all the traditional dishes. I made the Cranberry-Orange Relish Sunday, so the flavors would have a chance to meld by Thanksgiving.

I used my new zester, which makes long, thin strips or wider strips, and made the relish in my food processor. In previous years I've made it in the blender; this was much faster and easier!

Cranberry-Orange Relish

1 bag fresh cranberries, rinsed, dried, and picked through (I toss the mushy cranberries)
2 navel oranges, zested, rind removed, and cut into chunks
1/4 sugar, or more to taste if the oranges are not sweet and juicy
1 t salt

Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender. Pulse until everything is combined; you can make it as chunky or as finely chopped as you prefer.

Store in airtight container, stirring daily. The sugar and salt should draw out moisture from the orange and cranberries, making the relish a little saucy.

I've posted the raw ingredients before processing; I'll post another photo next week of the finished product.

This is terrific on turkey, alongside turkey, or stirred into mayo for turkey sandwiches :)


Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

No comments: