Monday, January 29, 2018

Faux Chocolate Mousse

Have you ever felt dog tired, but wanted a sweet treat for dessert? I was not up to making a real chocolate mousse, whipping cream, beating egg whites, melting chocolate. I'm exhausted thinking of it.

I did have Neufchatel cream cheese (the 1/3 less fat kind because it's made with only milk, not milk and cream). I always have Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder in the pantry, and thought I could make something with those two ingredients and the Cool Whip in the freezer.

Not the healthiest dessert, but not bad calorie-wise and definitely tasty.

Faux Chocolate Mousse

3 oz Neufchatel cheese, ideally at room temp (if it's still chilly, it will become more pliable as you work the cocoa powder into it)
2 t cocoa powder (use your favorite; I use dark chocolate)
1 t vanilla extract
1 t vanilla paste
Pinch of salt
Cool Whip (I used fat-free)

Combine the first 5 ingredients; dollop Cool Whip onto chocolate-Neufchatel mixture and fold in. Use as much Cool Whip as needed to make the chocolate mixture light.

Let mixture sit in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, to let flavors meld. To serve, use an ice cream scoop to portion out into a pretty glass.


Do you have a fast go-to dessert?

No comments: