Friday, August 3, 2018

Anywhere is Exciting



I am at the end of working on INHERIT THE WOOL and down to proof reading and tweaking. I expect to finish completely tomorrow. I have been working all day every day into the night and the time seem to melt. When I work like this I don’t get out much so any outing anywhere becomes an adventure.

Yesterday I went to the Tarzana Post Office. Just an errand to most people, it was an event to me. While I was in line I saw a man at the counter who looked familiar. But I had no idea from where. He could have been someone I knew a long time ago, someone from a local business, or someone I recognized because he was a character actor on a TV show. That’s the thing about this post office, you never know who you’ll see.

I left not having it figured out what category he belonged in. It’s confusing when you see people out of their usual context. The Tarzana Post Office stands out from other post offices in that while you’re in line there is a lot of Tarzan memorabilia because at once time all of Tarzana was a ranch owned by Edgar Rice Burroughs. There are photos of him, old maps of early subdivisions, and lots of Tarzan pictures.

The line moved almost too quickly since I was enjoying my time out. Then it was off to the grocery store. I mostly shop at Trader Joe’s but I was in a hurry to get back to work, so I went to a closer store, the local Ralph’s. Again to me this was an outing so I made the most of it.

The store seemed huge after Trader Joe’s and there were all kinds of products I’d never seen before. Who knew there were mini cake mixes you could make in a microwave?

And on a day I stayed home, the world came to me. Well, a TV shoot. They shot part of an episode of SWAT around the corner from me. I watched them unload the black SWAT vehicle and a bunch of cars. I missed all the action, though since I was back at my computer. The closest I came were there were trucks parked in front of my house.

As I look forward to sending off the manuscript and having it off my plate, there is also always a little sadness at saying good bye to it. And then I’ll start thinking of something else.

 

1 comment:

Linda O. Johnston said...

Congrats on having your manuscript nearly ready to go. And that's one of the fun things of living near Hollywood--seeing who you see sometimes!