Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Sad News


Things always change as time goes on, and often for the good.

But I, and others, received some sad news this past week.  My mystery publisher Midnight Ink is closing its doors.

Its parent company Llewellyn will remain in the publishing business, but there will be no more cozy mysteries from them. 

The good thing for me is that I'm only under contract with them for one more book, the fifth in my Barkery & Biscuits Mystery Series, and it's due out in May.  Apparently they won't be buying any more books but they will continue to publish those they've contracted for through next July or so.

This is my second MI series.  The first, the Superstition Mysteries, have already ended.  Did I anticipate more Barkery books?  I didn't know, though I hoped so.  But now I have that answer, at least with this publisher.

I feel particularly bad for the employees who will be losing their jobs, especially my wonderful editor.

So where do I go from here with my mysteries?  That remains to be seen.  I hope some of my ideas find a new home, preferably with another traditional publisher, but we'll see.

And meanwhile I'll keep plotting.

2 comments:

Betty Hechtman said...

It is too bad about Midnight Ink. So many changes in the publishing world.

Linda O. Johnston said...

That's for sure, Betty!