Friday, January 18, 2019

Rain Soaked Week

It feels like the week has been just one gloomy, rain soaked day. Our house has lots and lots of windows which made escaping from the weather impossible. That coupled with all the news reports warning of possible impending disaster from all that moisture made more a tense week.

This morning, the rain soaked ground was trying to give all those moisture back and there was a veil of fog when I looked out into my back yard, but at least no rain and there were dry spots appearing on the stone patio.

It seems like I spent the whole week hovering over my computer. A lot of it was checking radar maps to see if we were about to get a deluge. But I also spent time finally getting to know Bookbub and Goodreads.

I discovered that I have presences on both, but they need to be updated and added to. Suddenly there was a flow of followers. Honestly, I’m still figuring out how to handle them. I found that one of the sites has questions to answer. I chose to answer one about writers block.

And now I’ve found a whole new way to communicate with readers. It is a whole new world of communication. I remember writing a letter to Herman Wouk after finishing The Winds of War. There was no direct way to reach him. I had to send a letter to his publisher and since there was no response, I didn’t even know if it had reached him.

He also wrote one of my favorite books - Marjorie Morningstar. I have read it numerous times at different points in my life. And each time my take on it was totally different. That’s really just an aside.

But now there is direct immediate communication between readers and authors. It is interesting to be able to answer questions about real locations and where ideas come from. I personally always have regarded writers with a sense of awe. If I saw an author in person, to me they were like magical vessels filled with all these stories along with the secrets of how to get them published.

I am not used to talking about myself. I am more interested in hearing about other people. I will look at a crowd and think how each of those people has their own story. And I am surrounded by people right now who seem to use me as a sounding board and have no interest in anything I have to say unless it is about them.

The way I deal with it is by writing in a journal every morning. It oils my writing ability and serves as a release. Well, I guessed I just let out a secret about myself.

No comments: