Friday, January 25, 2019

Short Post

I'm finally getting into writing the next Yarn Retreat book.  I had the basic idea for the story and who gets killed and who did the killing, but the characters were kind of blank.  I had names for them and even some description, but they had no life.  I started asking myself questions about them.  Since they were a group of knitters who were also friends, how did they meet?  Their personalities began to emerge and suddenly I could hear them talking.  They had come alive to me.

I have discovered that different times of day are more creative for.  I wouldn't exactly call myself a morning person -- but it is my most creative time.  I can sit over morning coffee and fill pages of yellow pad.  Dialogue and ideas pop up out of nowhere.

But evenings are a different story.  I am writing this in the evening and it is a real struggle.  By this time of the day, I'm ready to watch comedies on TV or read.  The most creative thing I'm up for is crocheting.

I don't like spending a lot of time with a screen late at night as it seems to make me feel wired and it's hard to fall asleep.

After last week which was mostly rain, the sun finally returned and today it was actually warm.  Thanks to the moisture everything had turned an emerald green.  Some paperwhites are blooming in my yard with their strong scent that almost smell bad.

Part of my morning routine as I'm drinking my coffee is to look out my kitchen window and assess the sky.  Is it blue?  What shade?  Or if there are clouds, how to describe them.  Finding the words to fit what I see.  I also try to describe how what I see makes me feel. 

I'm afraid I'm writing this late in the day and out of ideas, so I'll leave this at that.

2 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

I think it's fun that our schedules morph over time and that our most creative times seem to determine themselves.

harry said...


thanks for posting this blog. its really very helpful for us.
visit our website