Friday, February 1, 2019

Storm Times Three

Here in Southern California it wasn’t the polar vortex we had to worry about -- well except for me I had to make sure the pipes didn’t freeze in my place in Chicago– it’s the rain storms lined up to roll through in the next five or so days. The areas that had recent fires are in danger for mud flows. But a lot depends on how much rain falls where.

I check the sky every morning and think about how I would describe it. I look at the clouds and the light and the color of the sky. This morning the sky was gray with spots of darker gray. The light was flat with not a shadow to be found that could hint at the time. When the light is like that times appears to stand still and morning and afternoon look the same.

It wasn’t raining yet, but the air had an eerie close feeling and not a leave stirring. I could smell th moisture in the air. And then the wind blew in shaking the outdoor umbrellas and the leaves on the orange trees. Spatters began to hit the flagstone patio leaving splotches as I sat looking out my kitchen window. The windows are very large so that it is almost like I’m outside.

In no time the patio was completely wet and the rain fell harder, making puddles that reflected the gloomy sky. It was like I was glued to my spot watching the weather get worse and lightening and thunder were added to the mix. Grateful for the new roof and not having to drape everything in garbage bags as new leaks appeared. The nerve wracking sound of the drops hitting the skylight took all my attention and it was hard to focus on getting going on my day.

I finally managed to start doing stuff, but always with an eye to the outside. Was anything flooding? Once a long time ago, it rained and rained all day. A solid pouring rain. I watched the middle of my backyard that has a slight indentation become a river. The street out front was under water and along the sides of the house water began to come in under the doors. I was able to keep the water from going further with a pile of towels, but it was scary all the same.

The weather person had predicted that this storm would be done here around three. Actually, it was more like a little after noon. The sun made an appearance and it felt like the whole world was smiling after the oppressive morning. And now to get ready for storm number two which is supposed to be worse. Followed by a storm on  Monday.

2 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

The thunder was wild! And, yes, more to come tonight and Monday.

Laura S Reading said...

We did have frozen pipes but as far as I know nothing burst.
And we are out the other side! Of course now we have ankle deep snow melt to wade through, but the birds are back and singing.

Glad things have a silver lining.