Friday, May 17, 2019

Crazy Weather

I had a surprise this morning. Rain. And not just some little drizzle. I measure rainfall by puddles left and if the orange tree barks gets shiny. The puddles were substantial and the orange tree bark was not super shiny, but definitely had gotten wet.

A rain storm in May in most parts of the country is no big deal. But here in Southern California it is. So much so that even a little bit of rain broke records for the day. This storm was described as a winter storm on the news the night before.

One big difference between a storm in February and the storm we had last night is the smell of the air. In the winter it is a wet smell, but now the air is sweet with blooming flowers and growing things. The air felt softer, too.

It reminded me of the snow I saw in Chicago a few weeks ago. It was strange to see thick flakes falling with a backdrop of trees with newly opened green leaves. The birds chirped in confusion or so I imagined. Despite it snowing all day, it left only a dusting that disappeared as soon as the snow stopped falling.

The upside of all this crazy weather is that it makes it easy to stay inside hovering over my computer.

 

 

2 comments:

LInda Osborn said...

I agree, that rain yesterday was really strange, but this is one of the best seasons of roses I've had in years. I am thanking the rains for that ! The comment above here is apparently someone wanting us all to journey to Texas for dental implants...I cold use some, but that is a bit far !
Glad to hear you are busily writing, do you have projected dates for the next couple of books?I always re-read the previous books before a new one comes out, to be sure the characters are behaving correctly. That is how I have noticed a couple of funny things, like Mason having a son and grandson at one time !
I am reading a series right now by Julie Hyzy, about a young woman who is the head chef in the White House. Of course she can figure out many threats before the Secret Service does. If you ever have spare time, you would enjoy the series.
Looking forward to the next book !

Linda O. Johnston said...

The amount of rain this season really has been different. At least we're not in a drought at the moment!