Friday, May 24, 2019

Mickey Mouse and Me

I remember the day that Disneyland opened. I was at Nancy’s birthday in the prefabs as the pair of two story buildings on 58th Street were called. The rooms were on top of each other, not like in our apartment where the rooms opened off a long hall. We were all gathered around the TV watching in wonder. There was only black and white in those days and the biggest screen was still tiny.

Disneyland was a mythic place to me. A place I never thought I’d actually go to. My family never traveled and California might as well have been on anothee planet.

And then one year during spring break when I was in college I went to Disneyland for the first time. It was like stepping inside of a dream. I was amazed by everything. But spring break ended and it was back to Chicago.

I think back to that me the watched the opening of Disneyland and wonder what she would think if she knew someday I would be there just about once a week. I go mostly as company for someone who looks at Disneyland as a pressure and stress reliever. It’s mostly about exercise for me. I always clock in around 10,000 or more steps.

Strangely though, I don’t get tired of seeing the same place week after week. True I know most of the words to Mickey’s Dance party by now, but I still like to boogie to the beat. I always enjoy the train, particularly the part of the ride along the river. The river boat ride is enjoyable too. I miss the thing that was in the round building in Tomorrow land. I call it "It’s a great big beautiful tomorrow" because that was the lyric of the song connected with it. I think it’s called the Carousel of Progress. I speak of it in the present because the attraction is still at Disney World. The person I keep company on the Disneyland trip also adores Disney World. I was company on two trips there, too last year. On the first trip, we went to the Magic Kingdom, the animal park and Epcot in one day. I think I walked over 20,000 steps. I love the animal park. The safari is amazing. You ride in an open jeep through areas with animals on the loose. The giraffes were active as were the elephants but the lions were all sleeping.

I am not a Disney freak. I don’t wear a pair of Mickey ears there or even own any. They seem to have them for brides and grads. I wonder if there are some with a little gray around the edges for older folks.

In the 70s, I went to Disneyland relatively often, though nothing like now. Then it was because my husband was a music agent and he had to cover acts that played there. I got the chance to hang out with musicians and see the behind the scenes area which was a sharp contrast to the magic inside the park.

I’ve been there when the park was closed. We were there for a telethon. I think I have a picture somewhere of a deserted Main Street.

In the old days when it got close to closing time, Disneyland was empty. No lines for rides. Not anymore. No matter what day of the week or what kind of weather, it’s always crowded until the park closes.

But alas our season passes are only good for a few more days before the summer blackout days. I don’t mind. Being there in extreme heat is not fun. And with Star Wars Land opening, it will be mobbed.

I’ll have to find someplace else to walk.

But there

No comments: