Friday, August 23, 2019

What Used to Be

I just discovered the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.  I don't binge watch.  With me it's one episode at a time.    I like the story, but I also like that it is set in the late fifties.  It reminds me of how it used to be.   There are parties where people talk and have fun.  No one is staring at a screen texting someone.  Department stores offered a shopping experience with actual sales help.

When the telephone rang people they were real calls not a social security scam.

You can get that I'm a little tired of now.  The 24/7 pace where you're always accessible by mail or text.  There was a time, not even that long ago when you left work at the end of the day and were out of touch until you returned the next morning.  You dropped off the mail at the end of the day and no one got back to you a few minutes later with something to do.

And you didn't have to keep figuring out how to do something on a computer.  If you wanted stationery you went to a shop and they designed it for you.

I think I spent too much time dealing with QuickBooks and the stress of it all lingers on.

The perfect example.  We're babysitting for my grandson and can't figure out how to turn on the cable.  What happened to the days when installing meant plugging in.

3 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

I can identify with your techie issues. Things do keep changing, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. But we need to deal with whatever is happening now, and I certainly try! Sounds as if you do, too.

Anonymous said...

So many days I miss my IBM selectric - even the non-correcting model.

Linda Osborn said...

Actually, let Jake try the cable--he can probably get it on ! I know my grandchildren are much better at tech stuff than I am, I often yell for help. One little guy could get the computer up at 18 months !