Friday, December 20, 2019

Catching Up

I’m afraid I’m behind the times.  I only recently discovered The Crown and I am watching it one episode at a time.  It’s the same for the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.  I have no interest in having an Echo or any of those things you can talk to.  I have never used Siri.

And I have never been a big fan of electronic books, though I have an old Nook, a Nook Tablet and a Kindle so old that when I tried to download a book I had to call customer service.  I just remember a woman with a heavy accent yelling at me and never being able to download whatever I was trying to.

I got Kindle and Nook apps on my phone, but the few times I tried using them, they turned me off to reading.

I would get daily deals from Bookbub, but even when there was a book I wanted to read, I’d ignore the offers.

And then one day I decided to get a new Kindle.  At first I was surprised at how small it was and didn’t think I’d like it.  I even considered returning it.  This time when there was a book offered on Bookbub that I wanted to read, I bought it. And I read the whole book  surprised at what a nice experience it was.

I’m not going all Kindle, though.  I read a paper book right after and it was nice being able to see exactly where I was by looking where my bookmark was sitting.  I also liked seeing the cover without having to go through a bunch of navigating. 

Recently, I was in a Barnes & Noble which was a special treat since there isn’t one close to me anymore.  I loved looking around and being able to browse and pick up a book at random and read some pages.  Electronic books will never take the place of that.  But I’ve made friends with my Kindle and it’s become a constant companion.  I even made it a jacket.

 


  

No comments: