Friday, May 29, 2020

A Sad Day

I woke up this morning like it was any other Thursday.  I heard the garbage trucks rumbling down the street as I went across the house.   I made coffee and did my usual stuff and was working on WRITING A WRONG, when the phone rang.  My husband answered it in another room. And then a few minutes later her came into the kitchen and told me a detective was on the phone.  He was calling to tell me that my brother had died.

A neighbor had noticed that he hadn’t taken his trash can out as he always did and when they looked the window saw that he was lying on the ground.   He was already gone.  No sign of foul play and the medical examiner would determine the cause of death.  They’d had to break in the door.  The detective was very nice and apologized for telling me over the phone, but then he was on the other side of the country.

It was a shock but I had to pull myself together to start dealing with things.  And now I have to fly across the country and take care of everything with no idea what I’m going to be walking into.

All of it would be hard any time, but with the virus even harder.  

We always got along, though we haven’t really been close for years, but we knew each other was there.  I’d call him when he was going through something that worried him and just listen. He’d call me when some disaster struck near me to make sure I was okay.  And now no more.

10 comments:

Miss Merry said...

I am so very sorry for the loss of your brother.

Dee W said...

I am so sorry, it's hard to lose a family member. No one knows your story like them. We will keep you in our thoughts as you move thru this.

Betty Hechtman said...

Thank you, Miss Merry. Kind thoughts really help.

Betty Hechtman said...

Dee W, you are right about nobody knowing your story like family. Kind thoughts help. It is as if they are like the whisper of a hugs.

Linda Osborn said...

So sorry for your loss. In these stressful times, it seems to make things all the harder. My thoughts and prayers go with you as you travel to make arrangements. Allow yourself time to think and grieve, don't push yourself too hard. Books can wait a few days.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda Osborn, thank you for your kind thoughts. It means a lot. What makes it harder is I have no idea what I'm walking into. I've never been to my brothers place. I'm trying to figure out what arrangements I heed to make for clean up etc. Then all the concerns about masks, gloves for flying and how you have to arrange things for going through security.

chkntza said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Take one day at a time. You will figure it out. Be safe and take care.

Betty Hechtman said...

Chkntza, Thank you for your thoughts. That is exactly what I'm trying to do.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Oh, Betty, I am so very sorry for your loss. I can identify with it, since I lost my younger brother a few years ago. Hugs, and take care of yourself.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, thank you. The worst part is over. This morning I went to his place for the first time and had to see where it happened.