Friday, July 3, 2020

Never a Dull Moment



Last week I’d just turned the proof pages of MURDER INK.  And then it was back to working on the next Crochet book.  It’s the fourteenth in the series so by now I know the characters pretty well.  I also have been thinking about the plot of the book for a while.
 
But of course there were interruptions.  I finally got the death certificate for my brother which meant I could move ahead with settling his affairs.  I heard from the person in charge of the HOA for my brother’s condo that the front window is wide open.  It’s because the mechanism that closes it is broken.  But I can’t take care of it until I go there next time. 

I had planned to go in July but a family member is having an operation on July 16, so I have to be around to take care of him.  But there is always the chance it will be delayed because of the surge in virus cases.  So the window will have to wait, but dealing with the rest of my brother’s stuff can’t.  There are forms to fill out and people to notify.

And there’s something else.  I have to go to Chicago to have a toilet replaced.  The good news is that it is been stabilized so it won’t leak on my neighbor’s ceiling.  

The three cats who moved in a few months ago now feel completely at home and feel free to interrupt what I’m doing  The thirteen year old Siamese named Spyderman  like to drink water from the faucet, so he had become a fixture in my kitchen sink.  I have chase him out of there when I pour hot pasta into a colander.   A neighborhood cat who we call Fake Julius because he looks like a cat who used to live down the street whose name was Julius  seems to have a crush on Buttercup.  She likes to lie in our big front window and Fake Julius naps on the front porch which is nearby.  Fake Julius also takes afternoon naps in our backyard as I think he wants everyone to believe it is part of his territory.

The youngest of the cats whose real name is Kona, but everyone calls her Kitten, looks a little like Fake Julius.  He’s all black and she is mostly black with a little white on her chin, chest and the tips of  her paws.  She seems concerned about Fake Julius’s visit and sits on the kitchen table which is right by a window and scans the yard for him.  Then she jumps in my lap and demands attention. 

Today was shopping for everybody.  My son and I are the ones who do it.  We hit the Costco business center, Target and an ice cream store.  There were lots of people out shopping,  but everybody wore a mask..  I did notice that Target had someone by the door checking to make sure everyone who came in was wearing one. I can’t believe the fuss some people have made, usually with some excuse why they can’t wear one.  They don’t seem to understand that a store has the right to not let them in.  All the people I encountered were very nice including the man who helped me pick up all the chopsticks that fell out of the bag when it broke open in my cart on Costco. By the time we finished delivering everything and I got everything put away at home (the giant bag of cole slaw was too good a deal to pass up even if it needs its own shelf), it was too late to anything but relax a few minutes and, well, see about getting Disney Plus so I can watch Hamilton when it is available.

Tomorrow it is back to writing. I’ve been thinking about the next scene and I can’t wait to write it.

2 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

You sound busy as usual, Betty. I admire you. And hi to your cats.

Betty Hechtman said...

Thank you, Linda. The feeling is mutual.