Friday, August 7, 2020

Weird Times

 My week started on Sunday when a family member said there was a big wet muddy spot in the backyard.  That person tends to make things sound worse than they are, but when I checked it was indeed a mini swamp.  I diagnosed it as an under ground sprinkler pipe broken.  By Monday morning I was in the process of getting it fixed.

As I was pointing out the sprinkler controls to the plumber, I wondered if any of my family members knew where they were, along with other things like the main turn off for the water for the house.  No surprise when I asked them, I got blank looks.  We’ve lived here for almost 30 years.

Now not only do I have to worry about earthquakes and brush fires here, but now hurricanes heading  for my brother's place in North Carolina.   One of the front windows in his place won’t close and we had to leave it open.  There were also signs of a leak in the roof which we didn’t have time to investigate.  The news is not very particular and all I saw was that the hurricane was headed for the Carolinas.  Luckily, one of my brother’s neighbors texted me an update and it sounds like nothing bad happened.  My son and I haven't been able to go back there because of husband’s’s cancer surgery and recovery in mid July.  The good news is that the surgery took care of it, but Kaiser kept him in the hospital only overnight and he came home needing a lot of care.

Hair salons are closed again, so our family stylist came to us and cut my son’s hair and my bangs in our driveway. Weird times and for pets too.

One of the cats that moved in recently was under the weather. He’s a thirteen or fourteen year old Siamese and was throwing up foul smelling greenish brown stuff.  It used to be that we just showed up at the Vet and waited, but when I called to make sure things hadn’t changed, I found out they had.  It’s all appointments now and when I called on Tuesday, the first opening was Saturday morning.  He seemed to be getting worse, so on Wednesday we took him to the emergency vet.  We had to wait in the car for someone to come out and carry him in (in his cat case) and then wait until he was examined.  They’d call our cell with the prognosis.


When we finally spoke to the Vet, they offered two alternatives. Blood tests and X-rays for $900. or they could treat him with something to settle his stomach and some subcutaneous water and see if he got bad again. We went with the latter.  He hasn’t thrown up since (and it’s a day later) and other than seeming kind of tired, is acting normal.  Fingers crossed it stays that way.

They said to follow up in ten days or so.  I’ll take him to my regular Vet.  He is not afraid to give his gut opinion without a zillion dollars worth of tests.

I am busy with the next Crochet book.  The manuscript is due September 1st but what with everything connected with my brother’s death and then the cancer surgery and recovery, it’s been hard to focus on it.  I’m probably going to need a couple more weeks.  Today I got an email asking for cover ideas and a synopsis for the cover copy.  Then there is all this boring stuff like getting all the information together for our corporate and personal taxes.  It means dealing with QuickBooks again which invariably leads to going in circles and frustration.  But oh, when I finally get it to work, it is such a rush.  And still I get the question – What are you making for dinner?

5 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

As always, you have a lot going on, Betty. I know what you mean about taking a pet to a vet these days. We've done the same kind of thing. Fortunately, our regular vet is available by phone--by a call back later in the day, although we have brought our dogs in and dropped them off for their exams, too. I hope your kitty is all better.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, I didn't even think of asking to talk to our regular vet. Good idea. What I didn't know about Spyderman was that he has a very delicate stomach. Apparently, he's had stuff like this before. It's a relief because I was practically playing taps for him when we took. It was such a relief that it wasn't a one way trip.

Linda Osborn said...

So glad to hear your husband and the kitty are doing ok. So much stress in our lives right now, no one needs more. I went through the cancer scene (and lost) with my husband about 7 years ago. Also my mother over 30 years ago. Somehow those memories do stay with us, good or bad. I pray all continues to go well with your family.

Betty Hechtman said...

Thank you, Linda. We all do have a lot of stress. I haven't been on Facebook much, but I recall seeing that you have your own challenge right now. I hope you worked it out about the pain procedure.

Life Love Anxiety said...

Good reading yyour post