Friday, October 2, 2020

One for the Hooks Done!

I  finishing writing ONE FOR THE HOOKS yesterday and sent it off into cyberspace. I’ve been dealing with it so intently, that just hitting send didn’t take it was off my mind.  I felt like the characters were all still hanging around.

Because of everything that happened this past summer, I had to ask for extra time.  And now it is move on to two other projects.  And suddenly it’s October and MURDER INK, the first book in the Writer For Hire series comes out in the UK next month, which means I have to update  my website.   

I’ve been putting off going to North Carolina to take care of my brother’s place, but I’m actually going Saturday morning.  There are repairs to attend to, a trip to the DMV about his car and clearing stuff out. Not exactly a vacation.  At least it’s not as traumatic to go there this time, because I know what to expect.  

My editor let me know there’d be a quick turnaround with ONE FOR THE HOOKS and she expects to send it back to me just about when I return.  I’m anxious to see her comments.  I always worry that I left some glaring hole in the plot that I missed.

It’s always emotional when I send off a manuscript even though I know I’ll see it several more times and will be able to make changes.  But in my head the story is over.  It was hard to write the end because this may be the last book in the series.

I’d been so focused on finishing the manuscript, I did little else which meant I had a pile of stuff waiting for me.  I was all over the place last night, flitting from one task to another.

Right now I think I need to take a deep breath and let everything go for a few minutes while I center myself. A cup of tea might help, too.

4 comments:

Linda Osborn said...

Oh my, I was fine until the last comment, that this may end the series ! I HOPE it ended the way I wished, but it probably didn't !!

I wish you peace and comfort as you take care of your brother's estate. You will have a certain amount of closure now. It takes time.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda,

All I'll say about the way it ends is that there is going to be a whole lot of stuff for Molly to deal with.

I do have some closure about my brother. Now it is more physical stuff going through the place and getting things fixed. Since my son is coming with, I'll have help. We always manage to make things a good time, too. Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Congrats on getting your manuscript off! And good luck with everything else.

Sally Morrison said...

Looking forward to catching up with Molly Pink. Hoping this isn't her last book. However, all of the books are enticing enough for re-reading. Thanks for sharing your talent.