Friday, October 23, 2020

Out of Sorts

 After what seemed like forever days of sizzling heat and endless sun, the weather did an abrupt change.  All week I’ve gotten up to gloomy mornings with enough moisture in the air to make the patio damp. It’s been chilly enough that I almost needed a robe.

The only negative is that it is taking my laundry forever to dry.  I have a dryer, but almost never use it and instead hand everything outside.

It has been nose to the grindstone for me as I work on the edits of ONE FOR THE HOOKS.  I had gotten mixed up on days and realized I’d missed a day.  The weirdest thing is that when I’m working on it and have spent so much time thinking about what day it is in the book that I think it still is that day in real life.


October is my favorite month in Chicago.  Whenever I think about it, I picture bright blue skies and a tree across the street whose leaves turn the brightest yellow that I always think they look like they’ve swallowed the sun. In the old days there used to be bonfires from all the fallen leaves before someone figured out the smoke was a bad thing.  But it looks like I’m going to miss October in Chicago this year.  Maybe I’ll make it there in November.


I voted and already have heard that my vote arrived.  It feels strange not to be going to the polling place, but then everything feels strange.  What is Halloween going to be like?  We’ve always gone to a restaurant in Malibu for Thanksgiving, but obviously not this year.  I’m vegetarian, the rest of my family isn’t which makes a homemade dinner unlikely.  What about Christmas?

I’m sure I’m not the only one feeling out of sorts. It has all caught up with me.

4 comments:

Sally Morrison said...

I lived in Chicago until two years ago when I moved to Florida. Fall is my favorite time in Chicago. However, it can be fickle. You may have some gorgeous days but many that are cold and rainy. While it is still warm here in Central Florida I focus on those gorgeous Chicago Fall days. Hope if you get there in November there is still some beautiful Fall color. Have a great weekend.

Betty Hechtman said...

Sally, so you lived in Chicago. It must be a big change for you. Though I was surprised by Florida weather. Somehow I thought the whole state was tropical, but when I went to Orlando a couple of years ago in January, it was chilly. Later the same year I went to Miami for the first time and it was what I thought Florida was like. I hope you are somewhere safe. The pandemic numbers there are scary.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Nope, you're not the only one feeling out of sorts, Betty. I've been thinking about how all our upcoming holidays will be spent--certainly not the same way we're used to enjoying them. But somehow I'm sure we'll deal with the differences.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, I'm sorry you're feeling out of sorts, too. But it's also nice to know I'm not the only one. And you're right, we'll figure out how to deal with things this year.