Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Skeletons After Halloween

 I'm a member of a writing group called Writers in Residence. We each periodically post a blog, and I've got one up today that I rather like--so I'll repost some of it here today rather than doing something completely new. It's about my writing process.

Here it is:

 I love writing. It's what I do. And years ago, I used to attempt to learn, and follow, all the rules I could.

 Now, I'm just used to doing it my way--which, yes, does include some rules, at least.

 And what is that way?  Well, first I need to come up with an idea.  What kind of idea? That depends on what I want to write next. These days, that's nearly always a romantic suspense book or a mystery that is part of, or might become, a series.

 Then what?  Well, I sit in front of my computer and plot. And plan. And more.

 Over my many years of writing I've come up with what I call a "plot skeleton."  It has various blanks to fill in, although I don't always complete everything.  The beginning is just a blank where I put down anything that appears in my head.  From there, I'll focus on my main characters and write all that comes to mind about them: their backgrounds, what they're doing now, why they get involved in this story, and what's likely to happen to them--often putting it into a character arc.

 I also make a list of other characters at the end, though it doesn't have to be complete.

 Eventually, I get around to my actual plotting part, where I have blanks to fill in that generally follow screenplay plotting: grabber, three acts that are each ended by a plot point, a black moment, climax and ending. Do I follow them all exactly?  No, but having the skeleton there to fill in is a good reminder if I choose to do so.         

 And then--I use that screenplay plotting to create the synopsis.  From there, if I need to put together a full proposal, I write the first three chapters.

 Simple? Yes... and no.  But it works for me.

 So Happy Post-Halloween, and my skeleton is still keeping me company!  And if you're a writer, may you plot the way that works best for you.

4 comments:

Sally Morrison said...

I love to read so of course I love writers. It is interesting to hear your process. I wrote a book with two friends called A Taste for Work. We were all career coaches and social workers and got the idea to put food with the process of job search. We self-published and did fairly well as we had a women's networking group and did numerous speaking engagements. It was a fun process. I keep thinking I should try a book on my own now that I'm retired. Your process is giving me things to think about.

Thanks for sharing your writing skills. And I truly appreciate your blogging efforts. I don't know how I'd manage without all of my favorite writers. Have a great week.

Linda O. Johnston said...

How great that you've been writing too, Sally. And of course you should write a book on your own. It's always fun to do and you can create people and situations of any kind should you choose fiction. And you've already gotten a taste (ha, ha) of getting your future work published.

Glad you enjoy our blog. And you have a great week, too!

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, it sounds like your process is similar to mine. I also like to create an arc for each of the characters. It is so much easier if you have a road map.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I agree, Betty. Even though I don't feel obligated to stick to it, I do like having something to follow if I want to.