Friday, October 30, 2020

Masking a Problem

 I finished going through the edits of ONE FOR THE HOOKS and now I’m letting it sit a little bit before I send it in.  Just in case I remember so something else that needs changing.  I’ll also add the acknowledgments.  I don’t really know what to say because it has been such a strange time while I was writing the book.  There were all the upheavals in my life and in the world.  Even my knit and crochet group is no more.  

My agent and editor have both been great when I needed extra time.  It’s important to remember that whatever any of us is going through, other people are going through stuff, too.  It feels like the world has been thrown up for grabs.

I have made it a point never to mention politics in my blog, but I simply don’t understand how there are people who have turned mask wearing into something that it’s not.  It is just a way to keep everyone from getting sick.  If it means anything it’s that the wearer cares about other people.  Nobody says wearing a mask is pleasant, but it is a lot more pleasant than getting sick.

I went to the Zoo yesterday.  Not really to look at animals.  I think all I saw were some koala bears and a wallabee.  It’s a place to go where there space between people, all of whom wear masks.  It’s exercise, a fresh view and a chance to air out my thoughts.

And as expected ideas for WRITING A WRONG showed up.  It’s the second book in the Writer for Hire series.  I had put it aside while I finished ONE FOR THE HOOKS.  I am kind of all over the place in working on it.  As I started to read through it before I began to write the rest of it, I started rewriting.  It’s kind of a confusing way of working, but I don’t know what else to do.

I am glad to have the books to work on.  It’s like escaping into reading, but more so.  Everyone around here has been getting crabby lately.  I’m sure that’s happening all over as the days grow shorter and the weather has a bite. And the news doesn’t help.  The threat of more illness which could be averted IF people would wear masks and keep a distance and not rush out on the baseball field with out a mask when they tested positive even if their team won the world series. And what about those people going to rallies, maskless and close together, or sports fan so delirious that their team won that they crowd together with not a mask in sight.

What is Halloween going to be this year?   It feels like it's cancelled.


I am trying to keep exercising.  We got one of those Cubii things (it’s great) and I discovered I can find any song I can think of, on my phone and play it while I ride the pedals.  I am doing everything to keep cheerful as we head into the dark time of the year. I’m hoping if I can stay upbeat, I can pass it along.

7 comments:

Miss Merry said...

I hope that people get tired of living like this and embrace mask wearing like other countries have. We really feel trapped in our home because so many in our community are shunning mask wearing. And that makes me question their other health practices, too. Walking in the zoo sounds like fun!

Linda Osborn said...

I feel the same frustrations you do right now, but I know we will get through it all. A group of friends have been meeting from time to time in each others yards. We pick up fast food and sit in a well spaced circle. That might work for your crochet group, you can chat away with the mask if you have too !
Holidays are different, and I have had the added pain of several family members moving out of state recently. That is the worst ! I just know they wouldn't be doing that if their dad was still around, so I miss his guidance all the more !
I read a lot, and am anxiously waiting for some new books to come along {hint, hint}. I have read the "Bones" series by Carolyn Haines recently, about 20 so far. I would hate to see Molly leave, let me know if you need some new ideas to play with--!!!
It is a crazy time for all, and hopefully things will settle some after the election. Keep those spirits up !

Betty Hechtman said...

Miss Merry, I'm sorry you feel trapped in your home. I find that getting out in the world always lifts my spirits. Luckily, most people I encounter are wearing masks. It seems like such a simple thing to do.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, how nice that you are getting together with friends in each others yards. It is an idea for my knit and crochet group. I can imagine how hard it is to have family move out of state. I can only imagine how much you miss your husband. I saw the photo montage on Facebook which made it seem even more real.

I'm writing as fast as I can. I'm not sure about Molly's future. I don't have a contract for any more books. I'll have to see what happens. Needless to say, I'd hate to say good bye to the characters. Molly has a lot to deal with when this book ends. Thank for the offer of ideas. I will definitely take you up on it.

It is a crazy time and I do hope that things settle after the election.

chkntza said...

I'm so glad to hear you are keeping a positive attitude. That is very helpful at this time. Can your knit and crochet group meet on zoom? You could sit around working on your projects, see what everybody is working on, and talk. I hope you find some way of keeping in touch. I don't see the problem with masks either. It's a part of my face now.

Betty Hechtman said...

Chkntza, The problem with the knit and crochet group meeting on zoom is that some of them don't have computers or smart phones. I like your comment that your mask is part of your face now. It's a great way to put it.

Linda O. Johnston said...

How fun that you went to the zoo, Betty. I want to do that one of these days. Also good that the people were wearing masks--and the animals weren't, I assume! And that it helped you with some ideas.