Friday, December 4, 2020

Commotion and Confusion

 I am hunkered down over my computer as far away as possible from the noise and confusion going on in our garage as it is transformed into a room. I am trying to concentrate on the clues in WRITING A WRONG as I attempt to work on the manuscript.

This construction is relatively easy. It isn’t inside the house, the crew doing it is diligent and seeming pretty quick.  But there is chaos in the backyard and driveway with stuff from inside and residue of the work they’re doing.  The old garage door is piled up against the wall waiting for a trip out of here.  The workers’ schedule has become mine.  Up and dressed earlier than usual. Our house has a lot of windows that look out where they are working.  It makes me feel like I’m on display when I sit at the kitchen table.  

And now there is wind again.  We had Santa Ana winds just a few days ago and they’re back.  The wind shakes the orange trees and occasionally rattles a window, but there is no harm done.  Not so on the far end of the San Fernando Valley.  There the wind is howling and their electric company has deliberately turned off the power for fear of sparks that could cause a fire.

I know all this because my grandson and his mother live there.  They are being told that their power will stay off for a couple of days.   They won’t come to us because of the virus and the order not to mix with people outside your household.  There is the problem of the food in the refrigerator which won’t last that long with no power.  All the groceries we just brought to them.


Meanwhile there is much confusion about the current restrictions around here.  There is the state, the county and the city.  As a person who deals with words, I am appalled at the confusion coming from all three authorities.  There are statements like you may not meet with someone outside your household.  What do they mean by “meet?”  The order put out by L.A. city (it was sent out as an alert via email)  was so confusing that the 11 o’clock news was trying to decipher what it meant.

I personally think that they are going about it all wrong.  I think the message needs to be simple.  Wear a mask, keep a distance, avoid crowded places and wash your hands.

It is so hard to put all of the above on a back burner and focus on my manuscript.
 

5 comments:

Sally Morrison said...

I always have a love/hate situation when having work done on my home. I love it being done but I kind of hate the process. I appreciate the workers though and I'm so happy when we say our final goodbyes.

As I live in Florida which seems to be the anything goes state with the virus, I agree with you on wear a mask, wash your hands, and keep your distance. So far, that works for me and my family. We can't stay locked down forever as the repercussions are enormous. I'm trying to keep an open mind about the vaccine. But, really who knows.

Hoping for a better 2021. Hope your holidays are merry whatever you're able to do.

Linda Osborn said...

First of all, sorry about the construction craziness. When my house flooded just 2 months after my husband died, I thought i would go nuts. All the furniture went out in a pod on the driveway, asbestos men had to treat some of the floors, and it placed the cats and I at my daughters for over a month. During that month my car also died, and my first grandchild got married. Life was not fun !!!!

Looks like the next book will come out in August--it has been a while {not that you have been busy or any thing !} Kindle and hardback, of course I will go for the hardback.

I had assumed over the past few months that you were not seeing much of Jakey. Sorry there is a problem there.That makes life hard for everyone.

The year is almost over, let's hope things look brighter soon !

Betty Hechtman said...

Sally, it's pretty amazing to see how much has been done in a week. The garage door has been replaced with French doors. There are windows where there was wall. Electrical work has been done and there are recessed lights in the ceiling that has been added. Instead of studs there are walls and there is almost a bathroom. Of course, there is also a huge mess outside. Luckily it hasn't rained.

Florida has the advantage that a lot can be done outside. I know what you mean about the vaccine. But by the time I could even get it, there should be more information on it.

Stay well and hope your holidays are merry, too.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, your situation was far worse than mine. Yours really does sound like a nightmare. The crew here seems to be working quickly. And once it's done, it will seem like it was magic.

I just found out about the book coming out in August. At least the cover is up on Amazon.

We see Jakey on Facetime and when my son and I bring groceries etc over which my son leaves outside their door. Jakey comes out on the balcony. Not great, but at least my son gets to talk to him. I mostly stay in the car, so they can have time together.

I sure hope next year is better for everyone!

Linda O. Johnston said...

I'll be addressing some of the things you mentioned on my next blog post, Betty. Of course. So much of what's going on remains on our minds nearly all the time.