Friday, March 5, 2021

Missing the Obvious

 It’s amazing how you can miss what’s right in front of your face.  But in all fairness since the pandemic has brought about much more cooking by everybody in my house with their own set of appliances, along with a stockpile of groceries in front of one of the cabinets which has earned the title of the food peninsula, the kitchen is rather chaotic.  Then there’s the skylight.  It’s great that it offers more light in the room, but it also brings in spotlights of sun which are not good for bread products to be bathed in.  The end result is condensation inside the packing and a quickening of mold formation.  The exact spots of the sunlight keeps changing depending on the time of day and where the sun is in the sky.  After endlessly shifting around all the bread products, I found the one safe spot is the part of the counter where all my cooking appliances are. Great for the bread, but my appliances were buried in the process and I basically gave up using them.

Recently, I was talking someone about smoothies and making them at home.  We were talking about how Costco has huge bags of frozen fruit  and a selection of milk alternatives that can be used to make them.  Costco also has a great deal on bananas, but there are always some that get too ripe to eat, but would be great for a smoothie.

The conversation made me think of my blender that was buried under the bread and rolls.  For a moment I contemplated finding another spot for the bread so I could use the blender.  And then out of nowhere the perfect most obvious answer popped in my head.  Just move the blender.  I was astounded at myself that it hadn’t occurred to me before.

As I said, my whole kitchen is chaotic, so what was the difference if the blender was stuck in the middle of my seasonings.   The moment after the thought came to me, the blender was moved.  Next trip to Costco, I bought a huge bag of frozen mixed berries.  Milkademia was on sale, so I bought the box of four containers of  macademia milk.  The banana were in a bunch of eight– barely ripe then, but destined to all get ripe at once.

My smoothie making had gotten a little rusty and it took a few tries before I got the order and amount of what stuff to put in the blender right, but then I was back in business. Already I’ve begun to experiment.  I threw in a handful of almonds.  Maybe next time it will be an avocado or beets or some of the mixed nut butter in the refrigerator that nobody seems to want.  The skies the limit.

Amazing \how a whole world opened up by a slight change in thinking.  It makes me wonder what else I’m missing.


2 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

Enjoy your smoothies, Betty. You earned them!

Betty Hechtman said...

The good news is that there are no more wasted bananas when they get too ripe. Too ripe to eat is just right for a smoothie.