Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Breathing Again

 Yes, I did complete the edits and revisions I mentioned here last week--and since then received yet another set of edits to do on an upcoming book. 

But I'm able to breathe again, at least somewhat. I'm negotiating some different deadlines, partly because all those edits were eating into the time I needed to start those other books.

 Except--well, my breathing is still not perfect.  Last night we heard a whole pack of coyotes howling in our neighborhood. I always accompany my pups when they go outside, and I scan the yard first to make sure the only movement I see is birds, and wind in the bushes and trees. Oh, and occasionally squirrels. But I'm always worried. Coyotes mostly live on the hillsides around here but of course they come down sometimes. I haven't seen any recently... but those howls made it clear they're still around, which I knew anyway.  And years ago, we even saw a couple in our yard at different times. Higher fences now, but they're good at getting over fences. 

And birds?  Oh, yeah!  It's spring, and we've got a lot in our area. I saw--and heard--a couple of doves on one of our outside railings the other day, not just up on a wire. I see a lot of hummingbirds at our feeder, and one of our neighbors sent us pictures of some babies in a nest in her yard. Lots more chirps and songs than usual. Ravens and many other birds flying around. Hawks who are often attacked by the ravens to get them off the top of one of the birds' favorite trees around here. And, yes, even a pandemonium of parrots now and then. 

Okay, I'm heading back to that edit--and taking a deep breath first.

4 comments:

Betty Hechtman said...

Coyotes seem to be more a problem. I keep seeing notices that they are out during the day and coming into people's yards who have never had the problem before. It's good that you keep an eye on your dogs.

We've never had them in our yard, but when I used to walk our last dog, I had to deal with them on the street.

Linda O. Johnston said...

We almost built a home up a hillside right where coyotes hang out now. Instead, we built one near there but I'm so glad we're downhill and our dogs are at least a bit safer.

chkntza said...

I see coyotes when I drive home from the hills. My friend lives in the hills and has a fenced in yard but that doesn't stop the coyotes from visiting. My friend has two cats who live indoors for that very reason.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Oh, yes, it's a lot safer to keep pets inside in coyote country!