Wednesday, June 30, 2021

26 Miles Across the Sea


I did something different this week. I traveled twenty-six miles across the sea to the island of Catalina. 

Do you know that old song?   I’ve had quite a few people not understand what I was talking about when I said I was going twenty-six miles across the sea, since they weren’t familiar with that old song by the Four Preps.  The lyrics begin: 

“Twenty-six miles across the sea
Santa Catalina is a-waitin' for me,
Santa Catalina, the island of romance,
romance, romance, romance.”

 I went there with family and friends just for a couple of days and really enjoyed it, especially thanks to the wildlife. We rented a house near the downtown area of Avalon, and several mule deer, both male with antlers and female, walked up and down the streets and visited the yards.  Plus, we took an eco-tour with the Catalina Conservancy and saw other now-local animals such as a fox, woodpeckers, red-tailed hawks, and a large number of very large bison!  Plant life was also discussed but I’m much more into animals. 

I didn’t get much writing or editing done, but it was worth it. I’d love to go back someday. The only times I’d been there before were to take my sons, when they were young, to a camp at the other side of the island. And maybe I’ll come up with an idea of stories to set on Catalina. 

I’m home now and getting back into my writing. I missed my dogs but we had a good sitter. They seem happy that we’re back. This way they get attention all the time, not just the few hours the sitter visited!

4 comments:

Betty Hechtman said...

Your trip sounds great and something I'd like to do. I've only gone there for the day. I did use Catalina for a setting for one of my books. Doing research for it, I went into the sheriffs station and tried to ask them a few questions. All I did was get a lot of suspicious looks.

Sally Morrison said...

Sounds delightful. Sometimes it is good to get away. Then when you get back to things you feel refreshed.

Linda O. Johnston said...

That's a shame, Betty. I didn't try talking to any authorities there, but usually the ones I've tried are cooperative, especially if I show them a book I've written. But how fun that you used Catalina as a setting!

Linda O. Johnston said...

That's very true, Sally. I do feel refreshed now that I'm settling back into work. Definitely an enjoyable and helpful trip!