Friday, June 4, 2021

But Knot For Me

 I finally wrote the end of But Knot For Me yesterday.  It’s all on yellow pages written in pen, but it’s there.  Now I have to type it in the computer and then doing a speedy rewrite of the whole manuscript.

I wrote the part where Casey figures out who did it.  That’s wasn’t so difficult because I already knew that part.  What was difficult was writing the part where she discloses how she figured it out and the guilty party explains why they did. I try to make it interesting and not just an information dump which is a challenge. Somehow working in pen on paper seems to make it easier. I have said before that apparently you use a different part of your brain to handwrite.

When I finished, I felt drained and relieved.  There is always a feeling lurking around that I won’t be able to finish a manuscript.  Another writer posted something like that on Facebook recently. All of a sudden the words stopped coming when she was half way through her manuscript.  What’s tough about that, is that if it happens, the harder you try the worse it gets.

With some things, it’s just a matter of sitting down and doing it.  Maybe writing is that way for some people, but not for me.  If I try to do that, I get all nervous and panicky and keep writing and deleting as it feels like nothing makes sense.  I can’t make the words come out, I have to let them.

Meanwhile I’m still dealing with plumbers and repairs all over the country.  Finally have set something up for Chicago and bought my plane ticket yesterday.  When I last went there in March of 2020 I had no idea it would be this long before I went back. It was just the beginning of the pandemic.  The person next to me on the plane was wearing a N95 mask and rubber gloves.  She was the only one and she didn’t even have the mask on right.  Right after I came back things started shutting down and it seemed like it would just be for a short time. I remember hearing that by Easter everything would open up again.  Not exactly how it turned out.

It looks like we finally  made it with a lot of bumps along the way. Maybe with a new appreciation of things like being able to hug somebody which we took for granted before.   


6 comments:

Linda D Osborn said...

Glad you got Casey to the end of her case ! I think she and Molly are both so relatable for your readers. They get into trouble, but it usually seems like situations that many of us could fall into.
You travel so much-it must be hard to write fluently. It's like what I hear from young mothers trying to work from home, with kids running in and out. My son has had some laughs over teaching on line--moms go by in the background in very scanty outfits, dogs barking, kids riding a bike in the house during a lesson. It's hard not to be distracted.
Forge ahead--you always turn out a great product on time !!

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, I bet your son has some stories to tell. With all the Zoom and online stuff, the backdrop has become a real issue. Thanks for the compliments. My father was a writer and he had endless issues about needing a special place o write. I decided I want to be able to work anywhere, anytime and under any circumstances. It's a challenge to keep a train of thought going when my family member literally come and stand behind me with their latest crisis while I'm at the computer. Also one of the cats that moved in with us last year has decided I'm her person. She likes to cuddle with her head on my shoulder and in typical cat behavior doesn't care what I'm doing when she needs a snuggle, including trying to type.

I'm sure you can understand that family always comes first. When it comes to Jakey, I always drop everything.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Congrats on finishing your manuscript, Betty! And have fun typing and editing. I'm sure the plumbing stuff is no fun, but enjoy your upcoming Chicago trip. too. I certainly enjoyed traveling after all this time.

Sally Morrison said...

I was a big fan of Sue Grafton books. She wrote A is for Alibi, and all the way through the alphabet until Z. I still feel bad that she was not able to write the last one Z is for .... Poor lady passed away.

I've written one book in context with my career. It is called 'A Taste for Work'. It was written for people looking for help with their careers and included recipes to keep them moving along. A unique idea. I wrote it with two colleagues. We enjoyed moderate success. It was tricky to write with other people. But, we motivated each other. I keep thinking I might have a novel in me, but so far, nope.

Thanks for sharing your talents. Both you and Linda.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, I actually did a fair amount of traveling during the shut down. Three trips to North Carolina and one to Orlando. The last trip to North Carolina (the fourth trip) the airport was a lot busier and more things were open. It is good to be out in the world.

Betty Hechtman said...

Sally, so you are a writer, too. It's nice to have a finished product to show for your efforts and know that you helped people with it. I'm sure working with other people was a challenge, but you managed it. I hope you find a way to let the novel in you find its way out.