Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Guest Blogger Jackie Vick

 Hi, all,

Today we have a guest blogger, Jackie Vick!  She and I are engaged in a blog swap, so I will also be a guest blogger on her blog today.

And here she is!



The Pets in the Frankie Chandler Pet Psychic Mysteries

 

If you follow the Frankie Chandler Pet Psychic Mysteries, you’ll know that each book and short story features an animal who witnesses the murder. And since animals don’t speak in complex sentences (that we know of…cue shocking music) Frankie must, after she learns the clue, figure out what it means.

The first book, BARKING MAD AT MURDER, was easy-peasy. I used a golden retriever named Sandy. Dogs are so easy to figure out that you don’t need a pet psychic to see what they’re thinking. Am I right, dog owners? So, the complexities came from the clue itself.

In my novels and short stories, I’ve also used performing cats, a cranky cockatoo, barnyard hens, a lethargic rattlesnake, a confused turkey, and a duck. These were still not too difficult since there are plenty of the above around to study.

And then I started the next mystery and decided on a Fiji Crested Iguana. This critically endangered species is NOT hanging around at the local pet store, so it’s taken a lot of research to give Stripe some personality.

I never want my readers to roll their eyes and say, “Not another dog!” (Although can anyone ever tire of dogs?) Instead, I’m always searching for the next animal that will amuse readers. I’ve already locked onto a gourmand goat and a heroic hummingbird for future books. I’m wondering, though.

What animal would you like to see in the pet psychic mysteries? Leave your answer in the comments. I really want to hear your ideas as I brainstorm on future books and short stories.

 

Thanks for having me on, Linda. You can check out the Frankie Chandler books here.








3 comments:

Sally Morrison said...

Hi Jackie, I'm going to look for your series today as I always love a good cozy mystery with a bit of a twist. I've been a dog owner in the past, my favorite was a Basset Hound named Elwood. Bassets would make a great character in a book because of their fun, yet serious faces.

Retrievers are awesome as well because they are so smart. Dean Koontz always seems to have a retriever featured in a book. In one of his books, the retriever spelled out a clue with his dog biscuits.

Thanks for your post.

Jacqueline Vick said...

Thanks for stopping by, Sally. I was shocked when I learned how big Basset Hounds got! I thought they were just beagles with long ears. I do love Dean Koontz and how he involves Goldens in his books. Have a fabulous day. :)

Betty Hechtman said...

Hi Jackie, glad you could be a guest on our blog. You're always welcome to come back. You're right nobody gets tired of dogs. I bet you enjoy your research.