Friday, August 6, 2021

Double Release

 


And suddenly August is upon us and I have two books coming out.  I was determined that this time I’d be ready, but I got so caught up in trying to finish BUT KNOT FOR ME that I lost track of time again.  I finished the rewrite and then the proof reading turning in to tweaking, but at last it was done and I sent it off.  There’s always mixed emotion.  Relief that I managed to finish it and a little sadness of letting it go.

ONE FOR THE HOOKS  comes out first.  Molly is in all kinds of trouble when her older son and his pregnant girlfriend move in unexpectedly just as her ex homicide detective Barry Greenberg asks for her help in a weird.

WRITING A WRONG comes out a couple of weeks later.  Veronica is busy writing about food in her Chicago neighborhood when of one her love letter clients turns up dead. Who is he really and how was he using her letters?

Veronica’s work as a writer for hire has made me think about all the different kind of jobs she could get and that they could lead her to do some interesting research.  All Veronica’s food writing requires a lot of tasting and looking for different words to use in her descriptions.  She does some ice cream tasting for a new place about to open that is dedicated to a taste experience and not just the same old chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. 

Unusual flavors seem to be the thing now in ice cream shops.  One place I checked out has a goat cheese and olive flavor.  I was really curious about it and asked for a sample.  Personally, I thought it was horrible, but apparently others like it because it has become one of their regular flavors.  I did some checking to see what other odd flavors of ice cream there were.  Honestly, I found raw horsemeat ice cream.  I wouldn’t even ask for a sample of that if I happened on the place selling it.  I think it was in Japan.

It’s so funny—when I was about to send in BUT KNOT FOR ME, I was looking forward to taking some time off from writing.  But a day later I was already thinking about Veronica’s next case.  What I love about writing is how it changes my perspective.  I look at everything as if I’m going to write about it and it makes me notice details and wonder about things.  It makes life so much more interesting.

 


   

4 comments:

Sally Morrison said...

I'm in the middle of Writing a Wrong when I read this post so I immediately went to Amazon to order One for the Hooks when they told me I had already pre-ordered. Such fun when it shows up on the day it gets out. Glad Amazon keeps track of me.

Betty Hechtman said...

Sally, you are ahead of me. I still have to update my website. I'm hoping o get everything to gather to send it to my web guy in the next few days.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Wow, Betty, that's amazing! And hopefully fun. Two new books in one month. Both sound fun. And yes, it's hard to take time out from writing when our minds are always at work.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, sitting on the balcony here in Hawaii, the beginning of my next book seemed to pour out of my fingers when I grabbed a pen and a yellow legal pad. I'd been trying to figure out how I was going to tell the story and suddenly it came to me.