Friday, January 7, 2022

Sad

 MAKING IT WRITE when flying through cyberspace last Sunday.  It was a relief to send it off, but also kind of a let down.  It had been my top priority for weeks and then suddenly I had to face the mess that accumulated while my mind was on the manuscript.  I have made a dent in the laundry, but there is so much more to do.

Meanwhile, I opened a file I started a while ago on an idea I have for another series and started adding to it.  Even when I say I'm going to take a break from writing, I don't.

The rain finally ended and the weather got a little warmer.  All that moisture left the yard a brilliant green and grass is beginning to fill in the bald spots.  The days are getting longer again and the stores are filled with valentine decorations as the year begins a new.

But my life is going on hold until next week.  I sold my brother's place in North Carolina and am going there for the last time.   My son is coming with me.  He has been an incredible help  with everything from going through papers to dealing with plumbers.  I didn't have a service for my brother, so we are going to have kind of a memorial.  We know that he spent his days at the Duke library doing independent research, so we are going to visit there.  We're going to an iconic restaurant  to have dinner in his honor and go to the favorite spots we've found in all our trips there.

After a last go through of the townhouse, I'll give the keys to the new owner and just like that the place will have new people living there. I have gone through a lot with the place doing all sorts of repairs with all sorts of emotions attached.  I guess the place is my last tie to my brother and now that will gone. I am sad and don't want to go, but know that I have to. 

I don't like saying good bye. 

4 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

I know how difficult that can be. Hugs and best wishes from me. But congrats on sending off MAKING IT WRITE.

Betty Hechtman said...

Thanks, Linda. I appreciate the hug and best wishes.

chkntza said...

Love and hugs to you. I hope you find peace.

Betty Hechtman said...

Chkntza, it was harder thinking about it than coming here and facing it (I'm in NC now and we did the final walk through of the place. Thank ;you for your kind thoughts.