Friday, October 14, 2022

Free Time

 It's been a weird feeling not having a deadline hanging over me.  It's been about three months of intense deadlines with no time in between .  I thought I would feel this huge gush of relief, but instead I felt at loose ends.  There were all these choices of things I could do like cleaning, read a book, clear up all the mess that collected while I was finishing KNOT A GAME, etc.  I started off by finally installing WordPerfect.  The disk has been next to my computer since I got this new one.  I have lost track of time, but it could be a year.  I  also finally installed the wireless keyboard and mouse that has been here since I got the new computer. I didn't want to take a chance of having a problem when I was in the middle of something, but it turned out to be amazingly simple to switch over.  The keyboard feels a little different, but I'm getting used to it and it's easier to type on. 

I actually watched some television.  I am way behind in all the streaming stuff and just watched WHITE LOTUS.  It's a six part program about a posh resort in Hawaii. I'm not sure why it's called a comedy/drama as it didn't seem funny, but it was engaging.  Really pretty to see the scenes of Hawaii.  Then I watched THE LOST CITY, which was about a writer who hasn't been leaving her house and ends up on a wild adventure  It was pure escape and lots of  fun.  It sort of felt like airing out my mind, though I did start looking at a proposal  have started numerous times, but this time I think I found the way to do it.  

I am stunned to see that October is almost half over.  Jakey's favorite holiday is Halloween, so he's been decorating. So much fun shopping at Costco with him.  He rides in  main part of the cart where he's at eye level with everything.  He picked out the candy to give out.    He seems to like giving candy out more than trick or treating for it.  

Amazon has a special deal on the Kindles of ON THE HOOK  and HOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING for $1.99.  You can't even get a cup of coffee for that anymore.  

Any day now, I 'll get that copyedit and it will be back to being in a tunnel.



2 comments:

Sally Morrison said...

Wordperfect??? Wow! I had no idea it was possible to still have Wordperfect. I loved that program. It made so much more sense to me than Word. Glad you are able to work with what you know and like.

Betty Hechtman said...

Sally, I hope Ian didn't cause you any problems.

Wordperfect still exists. I have had to get used to working with Word because that's what the publishers use. Even though I could write the original manuscript in Wordperfect and save it as a Word document, when my editor sent back the manuscript with edits, I had to use Word. By now I have become pretty good in all different versions of Word. My laptop is a Mac and the Word version on it is different than on a PC.

Everybody laughs when I mention Wordperfect, but I still like it.

I needed to have the Wordperfect program so that I could open old files that are in Wordperfect.