Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Pending Dog Writer Slogan

           Last week I posted about the Orange County Romance Writers Celebration of Romance. One of the things I mentioned were the morning sessions where attendees could choose which of three tables to sit at, with each having a moderator discussing a different topic.

 One of those moderators talked about promotion and how each writer should have a logo and slogan. I liked the idea, particularly of coming up with a slogan. I’d like to figure out something about how I have dogs in almost all of my books. 

Almost, because I’ve been doing works for hire for Harlequin Romantic Suspense in their long-running series about the Colton family, composed of a lot of different people who are mostly in law enforcement but live in different areas of the country. I’ve written several of them already. My next one, SHIELDING COLTON’S WITNESS, part of the Coltons of Colorado, will be released next month.  I’m currently working on my book for the Coltons of NYC, which will be a 2023 series. My story will also be published in November—next year. They’re enjoyable to write, even though I don’t choose what’s in the stories. 

But all the stories where I determine the plot contain dogs. That includes my Alaska Untamed Mysteries published under my first pseudonym, Lark O. Jensen. The first was BEAR WITNESS, published last May, and the next will be CRY WOLF, to be published in May 2023. My protagonist is a naturalist who provides tours showing Alaska wildlife, and her husky Sasha comes along with her.

 That also includes my current Shelter of Secrets series for Harlequin Romantic Suspense. The latest one was GUARDAN K-9 ON CALL, and the one to be published next February will be UNDERCOVER COWBOY DEFENDER. And yes, the Shelter of Secrets involves saving animals… and people too. 

So what will my slogan be? Haven’t figured it out yet, but I’m open to suggestions!  One thing I’m keeping in mind is that years ago, I was invited to join this Killer Hobbies blog in which we all wrote mysteries with hobby themes. My books all contained dogs then, too, and that was the reason for the invitation to focus on pets. Yes, I joined and still enjoy being here—but dogs aren’t just hobbies; they’re family members. And, whenever possible, the stars of my books!

2 comments:

Sally Morrison said...

Though I don't currently have a dog, I love them. Basset hounds are my favorite and I follow a number of Basset related IG accounts. Your books with dogs are always fun to read. Their personalities add a lot to the stories. Hope your new pup is getting settled.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Thanks, Sally. I certainly enjoy including dogs in my books.

Yes, Roxie is getting settled--somewhat. She wants to be the center of attention all the time. In fact, as I write this, she's crying because her sister Cari is getting a bath and therefore receiving all the attention.