Friday, November 11, 2022

Almost Done

 I am just finishing up going through the proof pages of KNOT A GAME.  Tomorrow I will send off the list of corrections.  In the meantime I've been  going back and forth on the book cover and the blurb for the back of the book.  

Meanwhile I'm fighting a losing battle with pantry moths.  I keep putting out traps and they get full, but still there are more.  They hang around the dry cat food and the kitty litter and in the pantry, along with places where there is no food.  I think they have been feasting on some of my yarn. They have left it in tatters and I had to trash it.

I looked online and it seems they are an annoyance, but not harmful except for ruining stuff.  

It's so funny that while I'm finishing up with KNOT A GAME, conversations from the next Molly book keep popping in my mind.  The fact that Jakey is almost a full time resident here will definitely get in the story with a twist.  Instead of a almost six-year-old boy, she'll be dealing with a baby girl that her son leaves with her.   She's had them bring home cats and dogs, but a baby!

Molly has to find a room for her and I'm hoping it will be like research and inspire me to clear out the room that's like my personal den for Jakey.  Thanks to the pantry moths, it's pretty clear what to do with a lot of the yarn.  But I keep coming across half done projects I want to stop and work on right then.  I have been working on the pattern for KNOT A GAME.  They are hand warmers and I know I will enjoy them.  It gets chilly here and they keep your hands warm and fingers free for typing or doing whatever with your smart phone.  I've said before that I prefer crochet as it is easier to fix mistakes, but the hand warmers are knitted.  Last night suddenly there was a strand of yarn that seemed too long and  I figured somehow a stitch had gotten dropped.  It was either try to fix it or start over.  I figured that I had nothing to lose by trying to fix it. I have read countless times how to fix a dropped stitch, but the pictures in a book are always clearer than actual yarn.  I think I fixed it, but it still looks a little hinky.  At least, there will be no doubt that they were handmade.

I will post pictures soon.  Now it's back to finishing all the loose ends of everything.


7 comments:

Linda Osborn said...

I knew Molly would wind up with that baby eventually !! That's part of my thought about getting Barry in there permanently--playing grandpa would soften him a bit !! Since he only really cares about Molly and the dogs, a baby girl would melt him.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Yikes, moths! I hate to deal with inside insects and wish they'd all stay outside. And it's fun when family, including pets, and friends provide inspiration for our writing. I'm generally not too cold around here, but handwarmers sound good, especially for traveling.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda Osborn, it is art mimicking life, only Jakey is older. Having him here has made Halloween and Christmas fun again. He likes to cook so will be fun baking cookies with him.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda O. Johnston, I wish the moths would stay outside too. It is funny how stuff from real life ends up in our fiction. It makes life more interesting.

chkntza said...

I'm sorry to hear about the moths. I hope they go away soon. I love the Molly books. I am looking forward to the new one. I am not good at picking up lost stitches. I always start over.

Betty Hechtman said...

Chkntza, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't feel comfortable about picking up stitches. I managed to on what I'm working on, but it looks weird in the spot where I did it. I bought some bay leafs to spread around as I heard they are good to deter the moths and they'll make the pantry smell nice. I am looking forward to getting lost in Molly's world.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing such information here... BSF>