Wednesday, November 9, 2022

And Another Trip

 

I was traveling last week when my blog post appeared, but once again I wasn’t able to access it. This time I set it to post on the appropriate date before I left. And now I’m back.

The trip this time? We visited our grandsons and went trick-or-treating with them on Halloween, then went to the Baron Mutual Funds Shareholder Conference in NYC as we used to do annually before it went on hiatus because of COVID.

The entertainment was enjoyable, as it always used to be. We chose comedy for lunchtime, and the comedian was John Mulaney. I’d heard of him but don’t think I’d seen him before, even on TV. He was great! He interacted with the audience a lot and did a lot of extemporaneous jokes. I do hope to see him again sometime.

The primary entertainment was Bruno Mars. The beginning of his show was much too loud, with overly bright lights, but the last few songs I not only recognized but enjoyed a lot more since his backup and the lights had settled down.

But what I liked best about the conference surprised me—a lot. One of the speakers was… Elon Musk!

Okay, he’s very controversial, especially now that he bought Twitter and is changing it the way he wants. I’m not entirely sure I understand all the issues now. But what really impressed me was what he said about Tesla and SpaceEx. Sure he wants to, and does, make money from them. Plus, they’re innovative. But what I appreciated best was the way he said he wants to use the technology from each of the companies to help the world progress—electric cars, and exploring space and eventually having people live in other parts of the universe. Hopefully, life on Earth will go on forever, but having humans elsewhere might help ensure that the human race will survive even if Earth doesn’t. It’s been interesting seeing short clips of his interview at the Baron Conference on TV now because of the Twitter controversy.

            Anyway, we also saw Hamilton. The music and acting were well done but I didn’t always follow what was going on since I couldn’t understand what the voices were saying. Still, it was an excellent show… but in retrospect I wish I’d instead gone to see Hugh Jackman in The Music Man.

Back home now and yes, I have a lot of writing and promoting to catch up on! Not to mention giving lots of hugs to the pups, who were well cared for in our absence, but I missed them, and think they missed me too.

4 comments:

Sally Morrison said...

We have one grandson born on Halloween. For quite a few years he thought the celebrating for his birthday. He just turned 18 and is just a wonderful guy. Trick or treating with the grands is the best.

Your trip sounds great. I think it would be interesting to hear Elon Musk speak. He is quite the character. But Wow, he is so innovative.

Happy writing!

Linda O. Johnston said...

How fun that you have a grandson with a Halloween birthday, Sally! Yes, trick or treating with the grands is always wonderful.

It was definitely a fun trip. I never paid a lot of attention to Elon Musk before but now I'll want to keep hearing more--although I'm not so sure about the Twitter stuff. Yes, he's absolutely innovative.

And thanks!

Betty Hechtman said...

Sounds like nice travels. I watched Hamilton on Disney Plus with captions. I didn't get it all, but a lot more than without them.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Watching it with captions would have helped a lot! Maybe I'll try it that way too.