Friday, March 3, 2023

Welcome March

 I am so glad to see March and say good bye to February. Too many things going on that needed attention right now, made it so I got waylaid on my manuscript.  The weather was so stressful.  We had unrelenting rain for three days and this area of the San Fernando Valley got almost 11 inches of rain in that time span.  Our relatively new roof  started leaking.  Our roofer did send someone out who put up a tarp and the leaking stopped just as the rain got worse.  There were trees blowing down and power outages that lasted for days.   The snow kept coming down in the mountains.  People were stranded and roads were blocked so deliveries couldn't be made.  

It did give me an idea for the next Yarn Retreat mystery.  I always make a point that the weather tends to be the same all year round on the Monterey Peninsula, but I saw they were getting blasted by rain.  What if the area gets flooded out and Casey and her retreat group and some other guests are stranded at Vista Del Mar.

But before I worry about writing that, there is the Molly books to finish.  The sun has returned and there is only a slight possibility of showers in the weekend forecast.  The roofing people came out and hopefully fixed the leak.   Help for the people in the mountains arrived by way of the National Guard.  With no more new snow, hopefully, they can get dug out.

So, now no excuse to keep my fingers from flying across the keyboard except of course, finding the words.

8 comments:

Patty said...

Good morning -- Wow, you really have had horrible weather -- hope it moderates soon. We've been lucky here in Phoenix -- very mild weather -- a heavy rain a few nights ago but no problems.

Glad to hear another Molly book is on the way -- I miss her. I'm on schedule of crocheting a blanket a week to donate to Project Linus -- finished a blue ombre last night -- used the basketweave pattern, one of my favorites. I've probably made a hundred of them over the years but every time, I have to look at the pattern to start the first row. I think I know what I'm doing without looking but it usually is wonky and has to be frogged.

Got a notice from the HOA that a locking mailbox is being installed for each unit -- apparently there has been some mail theft, especially along the back row of condos. I've never had a problem in any way with mail or with the planters and decorative items on my patio -- this is really a very safe area.

Enjoy your day -- hope you find the words to keep your fingers flying across the keyboard.

Betty Hechtman said...

Patty, I know what you mean about having to check patters of things I've made lots of. Also relearn techniques I've used in the past. I have completely forgotten how to do the C2C thing. I have to relearn Tunision crochet if I'm going to make anything with it. My favorite knitting project is a simple wash cloth with increases and then decreases. I always have to look at the pattern when I start.

How wonderful that you make all those blankets for Project Linus. I am sure they come loaded with all your good vibes and must offer more than warmth.

I feel bad even complaining about all the rain. The people in the mountain communities are snowed in and may not get help for a week. There were videos on the news showing houses where the people in them can't get out because the snow is so high.

It's good you're getting locks on you mailbox.

Patty said...

I've seen news pictures of the snow -- 15' deep -- incredible. I grew up in Nebraska but wouldn't want to live in those cold winters again.

I'm surprised I remember the knitted scarf pattern I mentioned to you several weeks ago. I haven't made one in many, many years but I remember the pattern. It's a simple one-row repeat and makes such a pretty lacy scarf. I don't even have knitting needles at the moment. In one of your older posts, you mentioned getting a kit to make granny squares and how you were so fascinated with them. That's the way I felt about a ripple afghan -- couldn't imagine how a straight piece of crochet could get those peaks and valleys -- really very simple but fascinating. A dear cousin taught me the technique -- a short time after she did, she suddenly died from a heart attack -- only in her early 40s.

Enjoy your weekend -- I'll be going to my grandson's basketball game.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Good idea to use the weather changes in some manner in a book! I wonder if we'll get the few additional drops of rain they are sometimes predicting for L.A.

Betty Hechtman said...

Patty, I keep meaning to look at a pattern for the ripple afghans. I do wonder how you get the peaks and valleys. I love how you can make ruffles with crochet.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, it looks like we did get the additional drops of rain, but more a problem, it looks like the mountains are getting a little more snow.

Patty said...

Just ask Google -- jillions of ripple patterns!! My daughter, a 4th grade teacher, likes to wear silly hats when she has recess duty -- the kids love them. She sent me a picture of a hat that looks like a Christmas tree -- I need to make one by the time the holidays roll around again. The "branches" of the tree are made with rows of ruffles -- really cute. I googled "Christmas tree hat" and was able to find the exact one she wants.

Do you have a date when the next Molly book will be out? Soon, I hope.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Patty said...

Me again!! I found a website that has the same ripple pattern my cousin taught me years ago. The site is sigonimacaroni.com. I was 12 years old -- that was almost 74 years ago -- I'll be 86 in April. Yikes!! Soon as I finish the afghan I'm working on at the moment, I'll do a ripple. Brings back lots of good memories.

Weather report showing more snow for the San Bernardino mountains -- what a bad situation. Gorgeous weather here -- high 70s to mid 80s.

Enjoy your day --