Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Wind

             I know a lot of places in this country get much worse weather than we do in LA, but LA experiencing weather issues is definitely mind-consuming.  Last week, we had some major wind. My house has a wonderful view of the San Fernando Valley, and it was interesting to watch the palm trees and other trees blow in the wind. We also have hummingbird feeders over the patio outside our kitchen, and both were really blowing, especially the one on the left. A couple of times a hummingbird perched on it as it blew and apparently got some sugar water from it since he stayed for a while. I worried about him. Also about the murder of crows flying around cawing and somehow dealing with the wind.

             And when I took my dogs out, their fur blew a whole lot in the wind. 

            It was a good time to write and edit while inside—even though the sound of the wind was sometimes distracting. 

            Now? Things have changed. It’s still a bit breezy now and then, and I’m trying to figure out how we got a slew of raindrops last night in our backyard when the only clouds in the sky were at a distance. What we did see in our sky, though, were the streaks showing the blastoff of the latest SpaceX rocket launch. 

            Lots of fodder for ideas for stories? Maybe. I’m still working on my edits as well as coming up with a bunch of new ideas.  And tossing squeak toys for Roxie to fetch as I work. At least that remains as usual.

4 comments:

Patty said...

Good morning -- The weather seems to be a major issue everywhere. There are very tall palm trees around the perimeter of my condo area and when the wind blows, they really bend with the breeze and the fronds whip around. I read that wind is actually good for them as the movement causes their roots to dig more firmly into the ground -- anchoring them. When there have been really high winds, some big trees of various kinds have blown over but I've never seen a palm tree go down.

Crocheting continues to keep me busy -- I have quite a few blankets to take to the next Project Linus drop-off day. I've been sorting yarn, putting skeins needed for a blanket together in a bag, so all I have to do is grab a bag and I'm ready to go.

Enjoy your weather-watching, your writing and, of course, playing fetch with the pups.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Good morning, Patty. Yes, I get to see palm trees sway from my windows as well, including right now, although there's only a breeze now and not a strong wind.

How great that you've crocheted a lot of blankets! I'll bet they're really pretty.

Enjoy your day too, including crocheting and weather-watching.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, the wind does get scary here. The rain has been weird. We were standing a clear spot of blue sky while it was raining on us. Go figure.

chkntza said...

I was in West LA shopping and I saw the streaks in the sky too. I didn't know what it was and now everybody is talking about it.