Friday, April 12, 2024

Ends and Beginnings

 Even with all the chaos here I am keeping on track.  Still just buckled floors with blowers going as the restoration company tries to work things out with the insurance company.  

I finished going over the galley pages for KNOT DEAD AGAIN.  It is basically proof reading for errors and little things I want to change.  The way  I handle the corrections is to print the pages that have them and then at the end I make a list by page and line number of changes that need to be made.  I will make that list over the weekend and it will be ready to send in by Monday. And then that's it.  No more changes.  Really over.  Goodbye to Casey, Dane, Lucinda, Frank and the rest until next time.

As soon as I finished going through KNOT DEAD AGAIN, I went back to CLASSY YARNS.  I was glad that I was able to get back into the story so easily.  I am in the midst of rewriting the end.  It is always a challenge to remember to tie up all the ends and explain how things happened.  I always feel a tug when I get to the end of the end. Even though I just handwrote the actual end and still have to put it in the computer when I finish rewriting what leads up to it. I will see the manuscript again several times, so it's won't be really  finished when I type in my notes.  But it's the end of the adventure for  the characters.  It's always a surprise how they turn out no matter how I thought of them to start with.  In this book Gray Hanover was supposed to be a side character, fish out of water,and a problem for the main character Annie Sara Hart.  But Gray turned into so much more.The rest of the characters are a quirky group who I liked spending time with.

I have already begun to think about the next Molly book.  Already beginning to think of the first page.

10 comments:

Patty Jenkins said...

Good morning -- Hurray for the next Molly book -- I miss her!! Glad you're able to keep on track with all the chaos around you. Insurance is such a pain -- they love to take your premium payments but hate to pay claims without a hassle.

I usually work on one project at a time but I've got two going right now -- both in stripes yarn. One is in the moss stitch, which is all single crochet, and the other is a big granny square, which is all double crochet. I'm using a Herrschner's stripes yarn called "Crystals" for the moss stitch and Red Heart stripes in "Retro" for the granny square.

It's creeping up on summer temperatures -- 92 yesterday. With the low humidity, even 100 isn't bad in the shade.

Have a great weekend.

Linda D Osborn said...

Give those insurance guys a push. Turn Adele loose on them --whatever it takes.
I am anxious to see Casey and Molly again--i miss them. I have been meaning to ask for a while--do you know anything about Monica Ferris? It has been a long time. When she wrote last {4 or 5 years?} she mentioned working on another book where the ex-husband would come back and give Betsy trouble. I don't believe that book was ever published.
Do you have time to read the "Bones" series by Carolin Haines ? She somehow comes up with at least 2 more long books a year. About 26 in the series now. They are very good and quite involved with the culture of the south. I know you have LOTS of time for free reading !

Betty Hechtman said...

Patty, I will have to check out the moss stitch. I am trying to stick to one project which is still the big granny square. Working on it is more for relaxation than anything else.

It has been cold here this year. Yesterday was suddenly very warm, but it is already back into a high of the low 60s and we are supposed to get even cooler temperatures and rain over the weekend.

Happy crocheting!

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda Osborn, right now the re3storation company is trying to work out what to do with our stuff while they fix the floors. Meanwhile, I am trying to move stuff and clear stuff before that happens. We have hot water and the leak is fixed, so I'm glad to have more time to go through stuff. We have been in this house for over 30 years. Every time I ask my husband about getting rid of something of his, he refuses.

I haven't heard from Monica Ferris since she stopped posting on the blog. Before that she said she was having trouble writing. It seems as if she just gave up. I know she had some health issues, but that's all I know. I was really sorry that she stopped posting.

I see Carolin Haines' posts on Facebook. She seems like a really big hearted person when it comes to animals. I will have to check out her books. I am trying to spend less time looking at my phone and using that time to read.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Your writing just keeps on going, Betty--and that's great! And it's always fun when our characters tell us who they really want to be.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, that's really what it is all about, the doing.

chkntza said...

I love how you bring your characters back in a series. The more I read about them the more I know them. I am reading Finders Keepers by Stephen King. It is not a series yet he has brought back characters from another book and I am enjoying knowing who they are and their back stories. The book would stand on its own as is but I find there is so much more depth in it.
I have been with the same insurance company for my car since I was 19. Now they are no longer writing policies for California and I have to find another company.
If Patty ever writes a crochet book I will buy it.

Betty Hechtman said...

Chkntza, Stephen King is a master. I like the idea of bringing characters in from other books. I am thinking of taking Patty's idea of having some of the characters from the Writer for Hire series show up for a writers' retreat in the Yarn Retreat series.

I didn't realize that the insurance companies were not renewing car insurance policies as well as homeowners. I hope you have luck finding another company.

Patty is great at giving instructions!

chkntza said...

I just finished the book and was surprised to discover this book is the second in a series. I did read the first but a very long time ago. I would love to see some of the characters from Writer for Hire in the Yarn Retreat series. That would be so much fun. I was able to bundle my car with my condo insurance so I am happy and relieved. Have a great week!

Patty Jenkins said...

Wow, I am honored that you are considering my idea for having characters from one series show up in another.

I'm happy to share my crochet patterns, instructions and ways I use various yarns. I did a few rows with the color block yarn just to see how it would look -- love it. The color I'm using is "Liquid Teal," beautiful shades of teal, blue and green.

Enjoy the rest of the week.