Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Missing Conferences

             Happy May, everyone! 

            I’ve been seeing lots of posts from friends on Facebook about Malice Domestic and, before that, Left Coast Crime, both in April. I used to attend both of them a lot, though working around the pandemic back in the day, but this year I didn’t. And then there’s upcoming Bouchercon, which I’ve attended the past couple of years, but not this year because of some conflicts with family events. 

            But I’m delighted that Harlequin might be holding its own conference later this year. Yes, I hope to attend. It’ll be in Canada, which should in itself be fun. 

            I do miss seeing fellow writers in person as much as I used to, although I do attend local chapter meetings quite bit. 

            Otherwise, I stay home with my pups and my writing, which is also enjoyable but in a different way. 

            And yes, I’m busy plotting and planning these days. And more of my older books are becoming available as ebooks and audio books. Always fun!

4 comments:

Patty said...

Good morning -- Happy May Day!! Eons ago, when I was in elementary school, we always had a May Day celebration -- don't remember the particular reason. I do remember getting to dance around the May pole -- the dancers were chosen by grades and since I was always a good student, I got to do it several times. Holding streamers and weaving in and out -- lots of fun!! We also made May baskets out of construction paper, filled them with little treats and a few flowers, and gave them to neighbors.

Your mention of Canada reminds me of a trip my husband and I took to the Peace Garden on the US-Canadian border -- it's an exact duplicate on each side -- very beautiful. Back in those days, a passport wasn't required to go into Canada for a certain number of miles from the border -- we visited a few small towns, then back home. One trip we took that made me feel very strange was to Alaska -- we were closer to Russia than to home in Texas.

Enjoy your plotting, writing and of course, your pups.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Happy May Day to you, Patty! Wish I was dancing around a pole today.

We've visited various areas in Canada too, sometimes relating to Alaskan cruises. I've always enjoyed what I've seen there.

And I'm definitely enjoying my plotting, writing and pups!

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, how nice that Harlequin is holding their own conference. Is it only for Harlequin authors?
I haven't gone to any conferences either.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I think it is only for Harlequin authors, Betty, in celebration of their 75th anniversary. They're already planning their schedule. Not sure whether they're planning a party like th old ones at RWA National where we all danced to "It's Raining Men" but I hope so!