Friday, July 12, 2024


 

Last weekend we took a road trip to San Diego.  I leave all the where we go and what we do up to my son.  I'm glad to go anywhere and he likes to decide where to go.  His original plan for us to go the Midway aircraft carrier went kaput.  It was the end of a holiday weekend and too crowded to even get in the parking lot. We did get close enough that I saw planes and helicopters on top of  the massive ship.  The place we were going to have brunch had no parking either.

So, instead we went to Coronado.  The ride over the bridge is always amazing and Jakey actually looked up from game thing to look out the window.  Coronado is an island just across the bay from San Diego.  It is known for being the place L.Frank Baum worked on the Oz books while spending winters there to get away from the Chicago bleakness. 

We've been there before and always gone to look at the Hotel Coronado with it's iconic brick red pointed roofs.  But this time we went to an area of shops and restaurants called the Coronado Ferry Plaza.  It's called that because it is the stop for a ferry boat that goes across to downtown San Diego right next to the Midway aircraft carrer.

It turned out to be a perfect spot to spend the afternoon.  We found a restaurant with a view of the water and a park area that had live music.  The food was great, not too expensive and the mostly 60s and 70s music good.  A woman dressed in a sparkly red white and blue dress was a self appointed dancer who seemed to feed on being watched. As the music progressed, she changed her hat and shoes.

After brunch, we found a perfect little beach with a view of Downtown San Diego.  The water was calm, clear and warm.  Just beyond there was a pier where the ferry stopped and beyond that a place for ships to  pass.  We watched a giant Dole ship go by packed with bananas.  And then a gray navy destroyer.  It was close enough that I could see the people standing on the front and back of the ship as it headed through the bay out.  As I watched it, I thought about all the people on the ship and wondered how they felt about where they were headed.

I thought that would be the last I saw of the ship, but then we went  up to the top of Point Loma and the Fort Rosecrans Cemetery.  We passed through an area that is still a naval base and then we got to the military cemetery.  There are 120,000 graves on the top of the windswept bluff that has a military history since the beginning of California being part of the U.S.  At the very tip is the Cabrillo National Monument with a lighthouse, but it was already closed for the day   The view from where we stopped  was of the part of Coronado Island that is a a military base, San Diego and the end of the bay before it goes into the ocean.  And there was that destroyer.  

It was beautiful and peaceful up there and the image that made the biggest impression on me.  All those headstones, each one with a story, and the ship heading out for some kind of dangerous adventure.


8 comments:

Patty Jenkins said...

Good morning -- What a great weekend trip. It's been many years since I've been to Coronado -- an uncle of my husband's was the ranking officer at the Naval Air station and we were there right after he took command. Such protocol -- everything had to be done in precise order -- I remember all the junior officers had to present themselves to him. My brother was career Navy and was on the aircraft carrier Coral Sea for many years -- we watched it come into port several times -- such a huge ship. My husband was in the Navy four years, aboard a destroyer -- the James E. Kyes DD787 -- tiny compared to a carrier. Families were taken on a dependents cruise -- that was fun but I wouldn't have wanted to go all the way to Japan on it which is what he did once each year. When his enlistment was up, the recruiting officer tried to talk him into reenlisting and going to Officer Training School but he said a definite no -- he wanted to be home.

It's still hot as the dickens -- just finished watering the patio plants and will be in with the a/c on the rest of the day. I have to put the edging on a blanket, then will start another -- probably a big granny square.

Enoy your day, writing, crocheting -- whatever's on your agenda.

Betty Hechtman said...

Patty, you certainly got around a lot. I didn't realize that a big part of Coronado is a military base until I saw this view. How interesting that you saw it all from the inside. I'm sure it is a lot different seeing a working aircraft carrier come into port rather than viewing one that's like a museum. Your husband was like the men I saw on the ship as it passed us the first time. I couls only imagine what they were thinking about, but you know. The family cruise must have been interesting. I'm sure you were glad that your husband chose to come home instead of going to officer training school.

The heat must get tiresome. What about monsoon rain? It has been extra hot here all week, but today it's cooler. I am working on finishing the big granny square blanket I started a while ago before I move on to something else. Enjoy your AC

Patty Jenkins said...

The Navy days were great but having Dan home all year was better. We're a month into the monsoon season but so far, not a drop of rain. It was cloudy yesterday but today is bright and sunny -- 115 is the predicted high.

Happy crocheting!!

chkntza said...

That sounds like a fun trip. I had rain last night. I was so surprised.

Betty Hechtman said...

Chkntza, Rain, wow! I looked at the weather map and saw there little dots of green no far from me. The Channel Islandd got quite a bit of rain. I would have love some rain here.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Sounds like a delightful trip to San Diego, Betty. I've always enjoyed going there, and I used to go there quite a bit when our younger son was at San Diego State. Maybe you can use some of what you saw in a story.

Patty Jenkins said...

I keep thinking of more Navy days memories -- Dan enlisted in January 1953 so the Korean war was almost over. His first voyage to Japan was in February 1954 so he was never near an active war zone, On the 1954 trip, his ship was near, but far enough away to be safe, from Bikini Atoll where nuclear bomb tests were made. He said the sailors had the choice of being on deck during the blast or staying below deck. He chose to be on deck -- they were given special glasses to wear, had their backs turned to the bomb site and were told to cover their eyes with their hands at the time of the blast. Even with all that, he saw brilliant white when the bomb detonated. We were in Long Beach four years -- met lots of great people from all over the country. I fed lots of sailors!!
Fun times.

Patty Jenkins said...

And one more memory -- our total monthly income was $239!! We paid $50 for a cute little apartment.