Friday, October 11, 2024

Loose Screws

 The last hot spell seems to be over which is a relief.  I am focused on the rewrite of MURDER BY THE HOOK.  I tried working from the on screen version of my last couple of books, but I'm back to working from a hard copy.  I have gotten pretty good and reading e-books, but it just isn't the same as reading something on paper.  

I find it hard to feel where what I'm reading fits in with the whole book. And, reading on a screen is different because apparently you don't blink as often and your eyes dry out.  I think there is a vibration to screens that is too fast to be noticed, but is still there.

 There is nothing like that  with paper.  

I want to just work on it and forget about everything else, but life goes on.  And it seems like there is always a whole trail of details with every chore.  Take the kitchen cabinet door that is hanging on by only the bottom hinge. The holes for the top screws have gotten too big over time and just full out if you try to screw them in.

We need wood fill, or at least that is what I called it.  There maybe a brand new kind of stuff that does that now.  That means a trip to Home Depot or Lowe's to see what's out there to do the job.  It also means that most likely Jakey will be along.  And that means a lot of time with the Halloween decorations.  He loves Halloween and decorating our house and yard. We already have a lot of stuff, but there is always something new  I will have to spirit him away from the grave stones and witches that say creepy stuff when you walk by to get to the reason for our visit.

The great thing about Home Depot and Lowe's is that they seem to have everything.  But finding it is another matter. Sometimes the employees can help and sometimes they don't know where something is either. And then we always get distracted by something else like pots of fall flowers.

Assuming I'm right about the wood fill.  There is doing the actual "fill" and having the patience to let it dry completely.

The final challenge is will it actually work.  Can the screws be put in or will all the wood fill stuff fall out and bring the screws with it.  Will there be a feeling of triumph that a problem has been solved or will it be just a lot of time spent and extra Halloween shopping before being left with the hanging cabinet door that looks like it's drunk.  I'm hoping for the best.

All of that is trivial compared to what the people affected by the hurricanes are dealing with.  I hope Sally Morrison is okay.


No comments: