Friday, February 22, 2019

Something New for Me

I have never gotten into using a e-reader. I have a Kindle and a Nook – though both are practically antique versions. I think I read one book and on one of them. It was a pain to remember to charge them and neither was convenient to take along. The Kindle is big and clunky with a keyboard and levers on the sides to turn the pages. The Nook is too big to easily fit in my purse. The last time I tried to buy a book on the Kindle I ended up having to call customer service because the Kindle was so old. I don’t think I got it to work.

I considered upgrading the Kindle, but it seemed that as soon as a new one came out a better version was just waiting in the wings. I loaded the Kindle and Nook apps on my phone, but they were left unused.

But then something happened. I was stuck waiting for my family once again. Their time sense and mine are completely different. And I remembered those e-reader apps on my phone. The Friday Night Knitting Club has been sitting in my Kindle library for years. I tried reading it, but never could get into it. I blamed it on reading on a screen. With time on my hands I decided to give it another try. Maybe because I’ve gotten so used to reading news on my phone, reading on a screen seemed less of a problem and suddenly I got into what I was reading and forgot what I was reading it on.

It was a Eureka moment. At last, I could have reading material where ever I am. No need to remember to bring it along. I mean, who doesn’t always have their phone. No need to worry about losing my place either. The Kindle keeps my place it for me. It doesn’t matter if I’m waiting in a dark car because the phone is back lit. And I didn’t have to buy another device. I already had it.

I’m not giving up paper reading. I do still prefer it, but it is nice to know that I can use my phone as a reading accessory. And I might finally finish The Friday Night Knitting Club.

1 comment:

Monica Ferris said...

Help, help, help! I'm Monica Ferris, your friendly Tuesday poster - but I can't get the link that lets me post my blog entry. Can someone put me back in touch with that portion of Killer hobbies? Thanks.

Monica Ferris