Friday, March 22, 2019

Serendipty


Did you know that March is National Crafts Month as well as National Crochet Month? In a nice coincidence the audio of INHERIT THE WOOL just came out. It features knitting, so fits right in with National Crafts Month.

This time Casey puts on a retreat for some of her college friends and she finds out they don’t have the perfect lives she imagines.

Yesterday turned into one of those serendipity days I love. It was supposed to be two stops at our offices in South Bay. I wasn’t the one having the meetings, just the go along so there’d be two people in the car allowing us to go in the car pool lane, and as greeter.

Have loaded computer bag, will travel is my motto. The first stop was at a new place we’re using for office space. It’s totally different than the executive suite we used before which looked like a traditional office. This place is all about communal space and a friendly atmosphere. I wasn’t sure how it would be for me to work on my manuscript there. There was lots of activity. People coming and going, stopping and talking. In other words lots to look at and listen to. But the vibe of the place is playful and creative and I ended up finding it easy to get into my work.

With the meeting done, we speed further south to our other office. This time I went to the nearby mall for the duration. I got coffee and looked around. I love to watch all the people. There are the mall walkers, the people with strollers and a couple of cops there for security, I guess.

I was sitting outside the Nordstrom store and could see into the jewelry department. There is a woman who works there who got my notice before. Her hair is jet black, but I suspect she is older – like probably late 60s. She tiny and has very bowed legs, but she always dresses fashionably. She was wearing a red coat as a dress over black leggings with stiletto boots. Even from the distance I could see that her lipstick matched the coat. She moved around that department with amazing speed considering the shoes.

It was late afternoon when we left the mall. The time of day when traffic on the 405 is like a parking lot, so instead of heading back to the San Fernando Valley, we went to Manhattan Beach. We parked and joined the troops of people heading down to the pier and walkway along the beach. The air was fresh and cold and the scene of the waves and the sunset was beautiful. And then when we started back on the pier, the super moon was just coming up from behind a cloud. It was so huge and bright. How wonderful to have ended up there.


Making almost a full circle to the first office, we had deep dish Chicago style pizzas across the street from it. And then finally home when the traffic had died down

2 comments:

Linda Osborn said...

Such great description--you practice all the time !

Linda O. Johnston said...

Observing and walking with those people in the mall and on the beach and more could give rise to some interesting new characters in your stories!