Friday, September 13, 2019

Almost Disaster

I always write my  blog on Thursday night, well, unless I forget and end up doing it Friday morning.   It seems like it just was Thursday and here it is again.

At least I finished the rewrite of MIXED KNOTS and now am down to proof ready with a little tweaking thrown in.  It feels like I've been working on this forever.   I will be relieved to send it off and no doubt sad too.

It's always that way.

I had a freakout moment this afternoon as I was finishing up my manuscript.  Suddenly Word announced it was closing and there was something wrong with the program.  Visions of my manuscript disappearing danced through my head.  There was no way to stop the program from closing or even hit save.

Once before a big hunk of a manuscript disappeared in cyberspace, so I knew it could happen.  Lucky for me, not this time.  Word said there was an error and then fixed it.

This is why I don't trust computers and every time I get some pitch about going paperless and dealing only online, I ignore it.    It all sounds good, but then computers don't work or shut themselves off to get updates without letting you, their owner, know.  I spent an hour supposedly saving time by paying two bills online.  How long does it take to write two checks?

Don't get me wrong-- I love using a computer most of the time.  The way you can try out lines and erase them with ease. Or I can search a manuscript to see if I've repeated myself  -- it happens a lot.  I remember the days of typing a manuscript.  When changing a line could mean having to retype countless pages.

It's like everything else, not black or white. There's the good and the bad.  No use complaining.  It is where the world is, so it's just deal with it.

1 comment:

Linda O. Johnston said...

Glad to hear your manuscript returned. I know how scary that can be!