Friday, October 11, 2019

Retreat

I'm having my own personal writer's retreat in Chicago.  It's been great.  I spent the first part of the time finishing the copy edit for KNOT ON YOUR LIFE.  Once finished and sent on its way I moved on to MURDER INK which features writer for hire Veronica Blackstone.  The first book takes place in October in Chicago, so all I had to do was look out the window for inspiration.

Even for this short time it is great to have the chance to just focus on writing.  Though I started working on something new in crochet.  It goes with something I'm working on about a woman who crochets toys.  It happens to have been a goal of mine and now I have the incentive to go for it.

I did make a worry doll for the crochet series.  I enjoyed it, but it was one and done.  I was want to make all kinds of things.  The first project is a purple bunny.  The choice was made by what yarn I have here and a pattern in a book I keep here.  It took me a number of attempts, but I've completed it's first arm.  Now that  have the feel of it, the second one will be easy as will hopefully the rest of it's body.

But the real challenge is the finishing.  A bad face ruins the whole thing.  Also want to give it a sewn on heart and maybe some clothes.

The neat thing about crochet is that you can make "things" rather than just shawls and afghans.  I crocheted a cactus.  I've seen crocheted pots filled with crocheted violets that I'd love to make.  It's a learning process.  First, I use a pattern and get an idea how it all works then I make up my own designs.

I am go grateful to have this time to write and dream.  And then its back to the usual chaos juggling chores, family business, writing and family drama.

1 comment:

LInda Osborn said...

I'm sure your new series about the writer will be fun ! You do have some more books contracted for Molly and Casey too, right ??? Readers are not ready to give them up !