Friday, May 15, 2020

The Granny Square Confusion



I’m just finishing up the copy edit or MURDER INK, the first writer for hire mystery.  I prefer not to say anything negative, but sometimes I just can’t help it.  Suffice it to say that the copy editor changed “a crocheted blanket made of squares in different designs” to a “granny square blanket” with a note telling me that was the common term.

First of all it is totally wrong.  Granny squares are a particular motif not a general term for crocheted squares.  To say I saw red was an understatement.  I was like Adele from the Molly books when someone brings up knitting.

I would assume that when a copy editor corrects an author they check their facts.  I’m guessing this one didn’t. I’m also guessing the copy editor had no idea what else I’ve written.

Suffice it to say that wasn’t the only inaccurate fact the copy editor had used to change something.  

Enough said.

The irony of it all is that the crochet project I’m working on is a giant granny square afghan.  The motif is probably best described as a square made of sections of three double crochet stitches separated by spaces.  The picture probably says it better.


More irony is that it was a granny square that started the whole Crochet Series. 

But life goes on.  I’ll be finished with the copy edit soon and will send it in.  Then it’s back to the other manuscripts in the works.  I’m grateful I have other projects to waiting for my attention.

This will be the end of this blog because I’m getting interrupted with hungry people wanting to know what’s for dinner.

6 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

How frustrating it is when a copy editor doesn't get things right when they ask for a change. But I'm sure you set her straight.

Glad you have other manuscripts in the works, and hungry people around!

chkntza said...

I hope you were able to correct the copy editor and put the words back the way you wanted to. I didn't know that you had to use the copy editor they choose for you and not your own. I learned something. The afghan is gorgeous.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, the copy editor is a man. And I'm sure he had no idea what else I'd written or I don't think he would have incorrectly changed a crochet reference. It seems as though he based his comments on what he thought of as common knowledge as opposed to actually checking it.

Betty Hechtman said...

Chkntza, I am sending the copy edit in today with a not explaining all. I have never been offered the choice of copy editors and have had all different ones. I think there was only one who did more than one of my books. I am fine when they make suggestions that improve the manuscript. Thank you for the compliment on the afghan. I love making them.

Sally Morrison said...

I love all of your books but the ones about The Tarzana Hookers and Molly Pink are my favorites. I've often wished that there could be some pictures of the items crocheted. Especially Sheila's scarves. You describe them well, but I would love a picture and pattern. Thanks for your great stories.

Betty Hechtman said...

Sally, there are photos of the projects in the books on my website. But I understand what you mean. Even with descriptions, it's not the same as seeing picture. I did have one project of Shelia's in a book and there's a picture of it.