Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Happy Fall!

 

Happy fall, everyone.  And I don't mean, despite all the miserable things that have been going on this year, that I'm wishing you'll fall to the ground.

 

No, it's autumn now.  When I grew up in Pittsburgh, that was my favorite season of the year.  It helped that there actually were seasons in Pittsburgh.

 

Now that I live in California, sure, there are seasons, too--although they're more mushed in together.  Summer, yes, and it can last a lot of the year.  Then there's the rainy season--maybe.  But I have to drive a distance to get a glimpse of anything like the lovely, colorful trees of fall that were typical of the season as I grew up.

 

Things here are okay, at least, though I'm still horrified that the fires go on. Not as much of the smoke is hanging around my home, a good thing.  But I'm still feeling so sorry for those who have to fight the fires or evacuate because of them, lose lives or property.  And though I keep reading that trees and wildlife can survive despite the flames, that's only sometimes, and I'm terribly sorry about that, too.

 

And my writing?  It goes on--and keeps me going.  Although I need to stop frequently to obey my pups.

6 comments:

Gayla said...

I would definitely miss the seasons, but... those all year flowers might cheer my heart!

Sally Morrison said...

We actually had a Fall like day in Orlando yesterday and today as well. Not chilly per se, but definitely cooler. To my surprised, the leaves do change color here, but not until November. Happy day to you.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I do miss the seasons I grew up with, Gayla, but I also find it interesting how what seasons there are seem to change since I moved here--not for the better, generally, thanks to climate change I guess. But I do enjoy living here, and yes, partly because things grow all the time, including flowers.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Enjoy your fall-like days, Sally. It's coolish here today, going up into the 80s--which sounds hot, but not as hot as the prediction of 100 for Tuesday! Happy day to you, too.

Betty Hechtman said...

My favorite season in Chicago was fall, too. Fall in L.A. is all about the change in the light to me. Just the way smells evoke memories, the the angle of the sunlight reminds me of past times here.

Linda O. Johnston said...

The change in light with the days growing shorter is one of the factors that reminds me here in L.A. that it's fall, Betty. I have to take the dogs into the yard sooner than before for their last visit each night.